Results 1 to 5 of 5
February 21st, 2013 05:41 AM #1
Do you have a check list of types of names to avoid
- masculine names for girls. we're girls we want to have a slightly feminine name at least!
- made up or misspelled names. What's wrong with Adeline instead of Adalyn anyway?
- too weird- i personally classify some names such as atticus of caesar as this..
- common names- even slightly common names. I don't go more common then Claudia. but then i'm not 'too' weird either.
- over the top or sugary- Aurora, Seraphina, Evangelina etc
- place names or last names-unless your american and this is a traditional(before the 20th century) thing to do then that's ok.
- names that are objects- apple, willow, opal etc
- foreign names- i have some french but would only use 1 at the most. my russian and irish names don't make it but it's not just about me i guess..
- not too pretentious
I still have quite a long list- 15 girls names that i love. Some of them people in real life may be like what? initially but their definately not too weird.
Last edited by leona; February 21st, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
February 21st, 2013 05:46 AM #3
Not really... I guess in my head I have certain "rules" that I try to stick too but if I like a name, I like a name, whether it goes against my rules or not. For example the first two of your rules are the same for me most of the time; and yet I love the name Kacey for a girl. Go figure? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I try not to restrict myself to a checklist of "types" to avoid as there are always going to be exceptions.Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith
February 21st, 2013 11:43 AM #5
Wow you have a really long list and you really restrict yourself!
I am pretty open to names. I love names.
Here is my list I guess:
-try to stick to the traditional spellings
-try to stick to names with a nice meaning and history
-try to avoid names with negative associations
-try to avoid names that would be easy to teaseTtc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!
February 21st, 2013 12:44 PM #7Senior Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2011
February 21st, 2013 01:08 PM #9
If I had to make one up on the spot, I guess it'd be:
- Only use accepted spellings (ex. my cousin is naming her daughter Kora instead of Cora, which is an accepted variation in Russia, apparently - it's also a type of West African string instrument?)
- Nothing over the top frilly/feminine for girls or macho/masculine for boys, i.e. Seraphina, Elizabella or Wrecker, Butch
- Nothing that could be embarrassing/offensive (Here's looking at you Mariposa, Cohen, Lester, Jemima, etc.)
And the others aren't really rules, just things I consider. I think about how teasable the name might be, how it sounds with my last name, and any nicknames that could be used for it that I like or dislike. Also if I can't see myself saying "_____, can you set the table please? It's time to come in and do your homework, ______. ______, I asked you to put your toys away three times already!" all day every day, the name comes off the list."whatever our souls are made of,
his and mine are the same"
k ♥ m
♂ August ∙ Barnaby ∙ Roland ∙ Whitney ∙ Atlas
♀ Florence ∙ Beatrix ∙ Vivian ∙ Helena ∙ Twila
avatar by *moogley-mog