Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: India

I'm pretty meh about India. I don't overthink it if I hear it on someone else, but I do think it has the potential to offend/annoy some people. It does have a beautiful sound though!

I think Margaret makes a ton of sense with Will, and I love the nickname Maggie! Margo is also a favorite, and is potentially a bit spunkier. You might consider Margery if you want something slightly more unexpected, and I think you could still use Maggie as a nickname.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

I never knew it was controversial ) whoops. But it's not my style anyways. I would say that I like it for someone else's kid but I guess you may not want to give your kid a name people will think is inappropriate? Idk. I like Cora Margaret! If you like Indie as nn you can go Indigo

The colonial, imperialistic elements of a white kid named India wouldn't make me think the parents were more "cultured" than someone who found it a bit odd or, frankly, in poor taste.

Even if your MIL isn't up on style generally, this might be one of those "even stopped clocks are right twice a day" situations.

Cora is pretty. You might also like Coralie?

Corinne is a nice middle name as the 2nd syllable emphasis makes it flow well with a lot of firsts, without being as expected as something predictable like Marie.

If what you like about India is the upscale British sound, you might like something like Imogen?

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    The colonial, imperialistic elements of a white kid named India wouldn't make me think the parents were more "cultured" than someone who found it a bit odd or, frankly, in poor taste.

Even if your MIL isn't up on style generally, this might be one of those "even stopped clocks are right twice a day" situations.
    I agree with this. India has a pretty sound, but its history of usage as a first name makes me wary of using it.

I love Corinne. I vote Corinne with a possible nn Cora.
    Gareth: 05.2012
    Baby #2 04.2014

I agree with your inlaws on some degree.

If you don't have any ties to India, it shouldn't be used as a name for your child. It's...I can't recall the word, but something along the lines of insulting by degrading or something like that.

I don't agree with using names of countries on children who have no ties to it. India is a country with a rich history, and a lot of controversies.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto