Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by balloonsforellie View Post
    Here are some names I found when researching plantation owners. I'm not sure if you'll like them, but I think they're beautiful. And I'm also a proud southerner. I know these aren't very surname-y, but they are names of prominent southern ladies.

Euphemie: Wife of Charles Alexandre Grevemberg.

Cornelia: Daughter of John Hampden Randolph and Emily Jane Liddell.

Nanine: Full name- Anne Guillemine Nanine Bringier, member of an old and influential French family of Louisiana. Married to Duncan F. Kenner who built Ashland-Belle Helene for her.

Marie Eleonore "Zelia": married Stephen Henderson when she was just 16 years old. Stephen was 30 years her senior. They purchased Destrehan Plantation after Jean Noel’s death.

Margaret Louisa: Annansdale Plantation was designed and built for her.

Varina: Second wife of the politician Jefferson Davis, who became president of the Confederate States of America.

Laminda: Daughter of Thomas M. Green, Jr. and wife of Congressman Thomas Hinds.

Catherine "Bonny Kate": Wife of John Sevier, who was an American soldier, frontiersman and politician, and one of the founding fathers of the State of Tennessee.
    Oh, I know who John Sevier is. I'm from Sevier County, TN.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by notcinnamon View Post
    Help from your fellow Southerner, and I agree with everything you wrote. I can just picture your grandmother! I LOVED both my grandmothers so much, and they also loved my baby names <3 I love to travel the world, but there's nothing like our Southern roots

My children are: Grantson Metz (son) and Wellsley Michae (pro. McKay - daughter)- - -fn are Old English surnames with meaning for us, and mn are family names
    You might like the list that went through the duration of both pregnancies-
    With my son- boys- Granger, Gainer, Jessup, Rafferty, Calder, Cagney, Lander, Warren, Riordan, Stewart, Hart, Lev/Leverett, Dax/Daxton
    With my daughter- Wetherly, Cagney, India, Anneliese, Jessup, Adaire, Sutton, Lael, Carina, Fleming, Melina, Corliss, Arden, Brennan, Isabeau, Saskia, Sabina, Carlisle, Windsor, Katriel, Keturah, Sorrel
    Tossed around mostly for mn- Hemingway, Maverick, Rhett, Preston, Garrison, Hawthorne
    girls- Mariana, Margo, Fallon, Louisa

Other names that have that flair- Landry, Mabry, Carter, Sullivan, Bembry, Gentry, Annaleah, Lennox, Daughtry, Lorelei, Liore/Liora, Linnea, Mae, Jensen, Jennings, Jarrett, Dallas, Brinson, Lark/Larken, Eden, Maura/Mara, Maren, Lachlan, Locke, Law, Rhodes, Reece, Greer, Grayson/Gracin, Larson/Larsen, Bellamy, Bethany, Bethan, Worth, Hollis (great with Rowan IMO), Anton, Sheldon, Jasper, Rex, Halstead, Jessamy/Jessamin/Jesse, Dagan/Hagan, Turner, Porter, Pierce, Spears, Chancellor, Chance, Chase, Rowe, Ridge, Beau, Kendrick, Merrick, Garrick, Kendall, Wallace, Walter, Hays, Glover, Palmer, Bryant, Hugh, Ivy/Ivah, Ada/Adah, Quinn, Sorrel, Sadler, Bridger, Parker, Ellery, Ellis, Stetson, Ragan, Bennett

Names from our 1807-1907 county record books and my family Bible-
    boys- Buchan/Buck, Guedron, Josiah, Adams, Evans, Walsh, Jefferson, Emory, Ned, Ambrose, Chauncey, Lowell, Wilton, Jonas, Abner, Wilder, Crawford, Abram, Lawson, Clark, Giles, Merritt, Davis, Boyd, Foster, Houston, Jules, Tobias, Webster, Benton, Henderson, Archer, Alden, Leland, Butler, Carleton, Ashby, Zeke, Hampton, Major
    girls- Maude, Nellie, Maridley, Civility, Verona, Vera, Aurie, Vina, Freda, Georgina, Georgiana, Clarice, Essa, Eugenia, Jewel, Opal, Lura, Loretta, Madge, Bess, Seaton, Johanna, Callaway, Augusta

Fun!
    Your list is amazing! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much, and I will respond with the names I love (there are many!) in a few hours when the wild child is asleep for the night. Your kids names are awesome, by the way.

Cool. I live in Calcasieu Parish, but I have a lot of close relatives that live in TN.

Current loves:
    thomasina louise, percival hugh

. ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙  ✶  . ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙

♥  ❝Words have meaning and names have power.❞

The name Sutton was the first to come to mind. It actually means "from the southern homestead," which I love for you.
    Last edited by kyemsma; February 20th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by kyemsma View Post
    The name Sutton was the first to come to mind. It actually means "from the southern homestead," which I love for you.
    I actually have a little cousin named Sutton. She is about 10 now.