Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Oren is fine-- esp if your character is Jewish-- but Kodiak is not. It's very implausible, as it's a place name, and island off the coast of Alaska, named for a word in the local Tlinglit language. No anglophone character would have the surname Kodiak.

Owen or Chris are both great. Chris Neil works; Peale is too soft and Keats way way too literary.

Owen Haines (if you want something Alaskan)
    Owen Roguski
    Owen Kent
    Owen Franconi
    Owen Rivas
    Owen Dietrich
    Owen Reilly
    Owen MacAlpin
    Owen Kostik
    Owen Bernier

Pick an ethnicity!
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

To me, as implausible as Oren Kodiak is, is how plausible Oren Fox is.

Fox being a dead common Ashkenazi Jewish last name, which certainly helps. And still giving you the nature feel you're looking for, if that was the draw of Oren ("pine tree") and Kodiak (a kind of bear). Fox, Katz, Green, etc. all flow pretty well with Oren.

Neil or Keats aren't bad but don't feel terribly organic following Oren and feel to me like maybe it happened at Ellis Island, and great-granddad was really much more "ethnic" N or K name and they were just pleasantly Anglo place-holder replacements - which definitely DID happen, historically, and are therefore plausible in that sense..

Christopher is a very different feel from Oren to me. Christopher doesn't feel as nature-y but it does feel soft and easy-going and less of a "statement" name iykwim.

If you like the plant-quality of Oren but not the cultural loading, maybe a name like Heath?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesparrow5684 View Post
    I wouldn't even start reading a book with a main character named Oran... So i would change it
    I read 150 to 200 books a year, and if I didn't read a book because I didn't like the a characters name, I'd miss out on a lot of really good books. I'm just saying...........
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Thanks, blade and stripedsocks for the advice/pointers and the suggestions.

I really like Owen Haines and Chris Neil. I don't think I should use Haines though. I have two other characters with H last names, Hawkins and Harbor. Maybe too many H's.

I'll toss another in the mix....

Chris Graham
    Will Gordon
    Last edited by crissy76; February 21st, 2013 at 02:39 AM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

So, so far I have....
    Owen Haines
    Chris Neil
    Chris Graham

What about Spencer for a last name?

Chris Spencer
    Owen Spencer

What about Ables or Able as a last name?

Chris Ables
    Owen Ables
    Last edited by crissy76; February 21st, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-