Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Names

One other thing- I don't think having a unique name makes you a unique person. There are plenty of creative, unusual, even bizarre people named John or Elizabeth and probably a few boring Zipporahs- the person makes their identity, not the name.

Same as why people who prefer classic names, don't understand why people would name their kid something whacky. I have a relatively unique name (here in Denmark, at least), and as I mentioned in another thread, I've always absolutely hated it and people have always mispronounced and misspelled it. That's the reason why I would never give my child an out-there name.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    One other thing- I don't think having a unique name makes you a unique person. There are plenty of creative, unusual, even bizarre people named John or Elizabeth and probably a few boring Zipporahs- the person makes their identity, not the name.
    Very well said.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Théoden "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Aksel Inigo • Aviaaja Cleopatra Hero "Avi" • Fabiola Agnes Lúthien

Some people are not into names. A few of my friends and relatives were so ho-hum when they were expecting. I think naming a human being is a big deal but they just weren't too concerned. They basically went with what they heard when they were out and about- Aiden, Mia, Isabella, Jayden

Different cultures have different beliefs about names. I believe that what you call a child is very important and can influence who they will be and how the world sees them. Others feel the child makes the name so whatever you name them, they will be who they were meant to be. Common names are safe and one-size-fits-all; not my cup of tea but some like that.

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Blaise * Greer
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Obscurity is my number one characteristic in liking a name, but obviously that isn't the norm! Most people are more comfortable fitting in rather than standing out. Plus, many common names have family history or literary meaning to those choosing them.

Quote Originally Posted by notcinnamon View Post
    Most people are more comfortable fitting in rather than standing out.
    A name doesn't make you stand out, your personality does (I sincerely hope I'm not the only one thinking this). As daisy451 mentioned, you can be named Rainbow Scheherazade Unicorn and still be just an average girl, equally you can be named Elizabeth Sarah and be the coolest person with a personality that really stands out in the crowd. I actually got slightly offended by your post, though I'm sure you meant no harm, it sounds pretty superficial. Just because you don't have a fancy pansy name, you're not as special as those with "unique" names? At least that was what I got from your post, and I do hope I just misunderstood it
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Théoden "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Aksel Inigo • Aviaaja Cleopatra Hero "Avi" • Fabiola Agnes Lúthien