Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Names

I tend to like plainer names and hopefully I can help you out. I think everyone tends to want to name their child for the child they want them to be. I don't want my child to be a fairytale prince or princess. I want them to be down to earth and likable and relatable and one of a kind but ordinary. I feel like a lot of the fancier names for a girls place value on beauty or class or exoticism, which I just don't see as that important. I want my children to be kind and smart.

I am also a literature person and, to be honest, the fancy named people always ended up dying, or in unhealthy relationships, and the more ordinarily named people tended to do better. I also like the heritage and namesakes that ordinary names tend to have because they have been used through the years. Lucy, Jane, Jack, James, and Alice all have lots of great people to look up to with their names.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

My favorite girls name is Elizabeth, really common but I compleatly love it! I love the sound,the history, and the derivitives of it. I love it to much to be concerened about how common it is. That's what it comes down to for me, how much do I love the name? If I love it I don't really care how common or uncommon it is. However I really do like the idea of an uncommon name so I attempt to find a more uncommon middle name to go with a more common first name. The reverse of that is also true for me, due to the fact that kids often want to fit in I like to use more common names as middles for the uncommon first names. I want to give my kids names that will allow then to either stand out or blend in depending on the sort of person they are. For example one of my best friends has a very uncommon first name (less than 20 born in the us the year we were born) and in middle school she went by her middle name because it is a more common name for girls her age (although it still is not a popular name)
    ~ Elisabeth Odelia "Elsie" ~ Gideon Boone ~
    ~ Adelheid Ruby "Addie Rue" ~ Theodore Solomon "Teddy"~
    ~ Casilda Josephine "Cassie Jo" ~ Zaccheaus Westley "Zeke" ~

I agree. I grew up with a very unique name and I loved it! I can sign a card with only my first name and people know who it's from. At work I can call and leave a message using only my first name and they call me right back. It is a precious gift of a lifetime having a unique name. I couldn't imagine giving the name Sophia or Madaline to my daughter. There are 3 Sophie's and 4 Maddy's in my nephew's first grade class. I feel so bad for them. They will go by including the forst letter of their last name most of thier lives!

I understand why people choose common names that are classics. I can see the appeal of that. What I don't understand is why people choose trendy names that are common. Elizabeth, William, James and Sarah make sense to me. Aiden, Brayden and etc not so much.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

There are a lot of benefits to having a common name that I think a lot of people overlook. No one will ever think that Emily or Jack are weird names, but you will get mixed reactions to Beatrix and Blaise. A name being popular means that a lot of people find it appealing, and having an appealing name is never a bad thing. And common names don't need to be "pulled off-" they're very wearable on any kind of personality. You've got to be a certain type of person to pull of Tiberius, but Tyler could be anyone. In the same way, common names don't put an expectation on a person- Lily could be a hippie performance artist, a CEO, a kindergarten teacher, or a mechanic, but Boheme seems pretty stuck in hippie-dom.

This isn't true of all common names, but many are very easy to pronounce and spell. Sure, there are variants of Sophia and Madeleine, but Sofia-with-an-f is a lot easier than Ariadne: A-R-I-A-D-N-E. And another user recently brought up a privacy issue: sometimes, you don't want to be the only one in the world with your name. It might be good to be able to hide, especially in the internet age when you don't always have complete control over your online presence. Maybe you don't want random people who google your name to know that you won a dance competition at age 13 or that you were president of your fraternity in college.

That said, there are benefits to unusual names as well; neither option is better than the other. Personally, I evaluate names individually on other merits, without really taking popularity into account.