Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    My husband is stuck in the 80s when it comes to names. He suggested names like Ashley, Brittney and the like. Nothing wrong with them other than being dated, but I prefer vintage and/or classic and timeless names. I think you can wear a man down, but if he truly hates it I would let it go (it just isn't fair to try forcing someone to like a name). But I have definitely challenged my husband on WHY he vetoes it. If he thinks it sounds old, I show him the top 500 or so on the SSA list, pointing out all of the "old" names. If he thinks it is too weird, I show him the list again. If he has a bad, but weak, association -- I encourage him to let the name grow on him a while. I also have done the reverse psychology trick. Telling him that I LOVE the name Bertha (or whatever you know he will hate), try to sell him on it for a few days, and then go back to Calla (for example)......suddenly Calla sounds pretty awesome, LOL. I also remind him that he will love the name once our child is wearing it. It has worked for me 2/3 times.......our first 2 daughters ended up with names he initially vetoed but now he LOVES. We compromised on daughter 3, and I still haven't gotten over it. I deeply regret not fighting harder for her name. So fight for me, please! I love Calla. I also think that mother's have a special way of knowing (in their heart) what feels right for their child.

Maybe he will be like mine. I was suggesting names to him months ago, and he shot down some awesome names. UGH. Just last night, I was discussing names with him again, and when I suggested Susannah (which he hated) he said "wow, I love that name! I could picture myself having a daughter named Susannah." Maybe yours will be like that too? I also suggested a boys name, and he said "I kind of like it" well, I'm STUCK on that name right now. I will keep suggesting it to him until he likes it haha. Sometimes you just need to get the name familiar in their head before they like it. I never liked the name Audrey until I kept seeing it all over the place. I warmed up to it, and now I love it. So my suggestion- bring it up later, and bring it up often! Tell him all of the things you love about it. Good luck
    Girls:
    Brenna, Coraline, Cordelia, Elodie, Francesca, Gianna, Helena, Ingrid, Margaret, Marilyn

Boys:
    Alaric, Griffon, Ivan, Joesph, Kenneth, Lucian, Nero, Orion, Phillip, Samson

I just asked my hubby about the name Calla and his response was "no opinion." It freaks him out when I do name research, too. I think the name Calla is absolutely gorgeous! If you use it as a nickname, I'd use it as a nickname for Callista/Callisto/Calixta/Calixto but Calla is amazing all on its own!

I didn't even try to bring up names seriously with my husband until we were pregnant. Then I sucked him to the process by showing him name wizard (he is into math and statistics so the graphs were appealing for him), finding lists of name suggestions based on themes he would find amusing (comic books) and then by getting him to take a naming style quiz (but that took quite a bit of build up to get him to agree to but I think he liked it in the end). Once he got going I don't think he hated the process, although he was no where near as enthusiastic as I was.
    Good luck!
    Mama to twin boys Oliver Graham and Luke Axel