Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Pets

A happy update

Last weekend, my parents welcomed Pixie, a West Highland Terrier, into their home. She's just over a year old, and very easygoing and friendly. I took to her from my very first visit to the shelter, she put me at ease, and I was comfortable around her from the beginning.

She is a very calm dog and very affectionate. Amelie loves her, she picked the name herself. She can't spend enough time around her and is bombarding me with daily requests to visit her grandparents house - Its very sweet.

While I'm still not completely over my fear, I am far better than I was, and I'm so grateful for the fantastic advice here. Thank you all so much!

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

I have 2 large rescue dogs and they are wonderful with my toddler and have been since she was born. The worst of it was that one of the dogs would chew up her pacifiers if she found them on the floor. Oh and dirty diapers- they love those. Ick. As far as the temperament with children I would say that most inside dogs that are part of the family "pack" will understand that the child is delicate and will protect and be patient with them. My 80 pound pitbull has literally been stabbed in the eye (with a todder finger) by my daughter and just lays there and takes it (a smaller dog is probably more sensitive though- big dogs tend to have thicker skin). The other dog- a 3 legged border collie mix, is a bit more sensitive, and by that I mean if she tries to ride him or starts playing drums on his back he gets up and walks away.
    If you do get a dog I highly recommend crate training. My dogs love their bed and spend most of their indoor time in there. Its really important for the dog to have a spot to get away from the kids too.

Before we had kids the dogs were our babies. But I will say this- if your kid isn't old enough to help with the dog's care, I wouldn't do it. If our dogs "went to heaven" (so to speak) tomorrow, I would be devastated, but I would not get another one. It is so much work. And the accidents are rare with adult dogs, but one of ours had a virus and over the last 2 weeks she has had about 6 or 7 episodes of diarrhea in her crate. With me pregnant, waking up to THAT with morning sickness and hypersensitive smell. Ugh. And that is not even to mention the mess (thank God for DH). The dog hair is constant and it is expensive, the food is expensive, the vet bills are expensive, boarding them when we go out of town is expensive.
    Mama to little Ramona Mae 3/2011 and Sylvie Joy born 11/2013

I understand completely with what you're saying.
    From what I've been told, when I was a little baby, my older brother had bad asthma (like I do now) and, as rumor has it, for some odd reason chihuahuas can help with that. So, naturally, our mother got one. It hated me. It attacked me everytime I crawled in the room. Later our mother got rid of it, but I still grew up loving dogs (cats, horses and etc.) very passionately.
    And since then I've still been attacked/biten and scratched by multiple dogs (and have the scares to prove it) and I still love most animals fearlessly. Especially dogs. They are such compassionate, gentle, loving, loyal, smart (for the kmost part), sensitive creatures. They are worth all the training and hassle.
    Teenberry. INFP. Ravenclaw. Passions: art, theatre, music, psychology, yoga, meditation, naming, and reading.
    (Changing my name to Zoie Willow.)

For a future...
    Ever-so Darling Daughter:
    Opal Eleanor ~ Lavender Elaine ~ Harmony Ophelia Maude ~ Poet Aurelia Charlotte

Splendid Son:
    Sebastian River - Hugo William Sky - Hawthorne Timothy Lewis - Rivers Cornelius Henry

Quote Originally Posted by pinkballerina View Post
    A happy update

Last weekend, my parents welcomed Pixie, a West Highland Terrier, into their home. She's just over a year old, and very easygoing and friendly. I took to her from my very first visit to the shelter, she put me at ease, and I was comfortable around her from the beginning.

She is a very calm dog and very affectionate. Amelie loves her, she picked the name herself. She can't spend enough time around her and is bombarding me with daily requests to visit her grandparents house - Its very sweet.

While I'm still not completely over my fear, I am far better than I was, and I'm so grateful for the fantastic advice here. Thank you all so much!
    Yay! I'm glad everything worked out. Sounds like y'all are doing great. Congratulations :-)
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me