Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets

I love my dog but I think a cat would be much easier. Cats don't usually have vicious tendencies, and they really don't need much care. I agree, indoor cats are furry and smell sometimes. We had an indoor cat when I was little because my mom was a stay-at-home mom and had time to clean. Now I think it would be more difficult. My outdoor cat now is like a dog and usually goes outside to use the potty and comes back, so it works a lot better.
    As far as dogs go, I've noticed bigger dogs are actually a lot better with kids. Based on my experiences, dogs like golden retrievers are great to their owner's children. Little dogs like chihuahuas, bite.
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

As much as I love rats (and I have 4 myself), they are not very good pets for a small child. They're delicate, don't live very long, and their claws can be hard on children's skin.

You mentioned you were attacked by a dog when you were little and you're afraid of dogs as a result. Perhaps it would make YOU feel more comfortable if you spent some time around them. If you're seriously considering getting a dog, contact a local shelter--a non-profit no-kill would probably be best. Explain your situation, and see if they'd let you spend a little time with their dogs.
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by sidura View Post
    \

You mentioned you were attacked by a dog when you were little and you're afraid of dogs as a result. Perhaps it would make YOU feel more comfortable if you spent some time around them. If you're seriously considering getting a dog, contact a local shelter--a non-profit no-kill would probably be best. Explain your situation, and see if they'd let you spend a little time with their dogs.
    interesting idea...I like it!
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

I would not get a dog , if I were you, until all your children are old enough to learn to train it. A child as young as 3or 4 can learn to be assertive towards the dog and make the dog respect him/her, but obviously, a baby can't. Puppies require a lot of training... It's a huge time commitment that the whole family should be involved with, so getting a puppy when a new baby is on the way would be very difficult IMO. Cats & bunnies are a lot easier, but are perhaps not quite as friendly as a dog. Dogs are great companions for children and make a great addition to the family... You just need to make sure it's the right time.
    Mommy to John Alexander & 3 furbabies; Maggie the dog, Rex & Bella the wannabe lions

Current favourites: girls -Eliana [Bronwen, Joy, Claire, Irene], Leora [Irene, Bronwen, Bronwyn], Sarah Elise, Anna Charlotte, Adelaide, Phoebe, Kathryn, Elizabeth, Anastasia, Celeste, Astrid, Beatrix, Lucy
    boys: Callum, Arthur [Paul or William], Nathaniel, Samuel, Zachary, Elijah

I cant imagine my childhood without pets. We were always outside with our animals (we lived in a rural area as well). We had very loyal dogs growing up that I will never forget. My husband and I have had a lab for the past 4 years and she is amazing with our son who is 8 months old. She lets him climb all over her, stick his hands in her mouth, pull her ears etc. But she is an older dog who we spent A LOT of time training - puppies are much more excitable so maybe an older dog would be the answer? I agree with encore - little dogs bite. Ive never known a smaller breed to not have a bit of aggression in them (they always bark at, run at Milly when we have her out for her daily walk)! However if you do get a puppy you can train it how you want. Milly is aloud inside but she does not have free reign, she has a designated 'bed' that she knows is the only spot she is allowed when inside. When she is let in now she goes straight to the bed and doesnt move. This could be an option for having your pet inside when you want and create a safe area outside for other times? I would bet you learn to love the pet you get like a family member - even with your aversion to animals!
    First time Mum to Luke Michael.