Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Initial nicknames

What is your take on using a first and middle initial for a nn? So Patrick James would be PJ, Charles John CJ and so on. (These are random examples not considerations).

Some days I think it's adorable and other days I feel it's a little downmarket...thoughts?

Personally I don't envisage me ever choosing to use initials but if others want to use them that's cool.

I do have a cousin who was given his fathers full name Mark James and to avoid confusion we call him MJ and his Dad Mark. In circumstances like that I understand it.
    Top Girls
    Amelie, Emmeline, Magdalena*, Rosalie, Verity.
    Top Boys
    Declan, Nathaniel, Sebastian, Tobias*, Zachary.

I apologise for any spelling or grammar errors tiny phone buttons and poor eyesight are not a great mix.
    No babies yet, just planning.

My half sister has a brother who is Phillip Jr and goes by PJ. And there's a boy in my grade named Gerald S, who goes by J.C. since that's the sounds that his names start with. There's also an Adrian Joseph who is AJ. But that's because he despises Adrian.
    I share the like/dislike relationship with initials.
    If I had a baby right now they'd be:
    Isaac
    or
    Blaire

Meh. I know enough _Js to make it seem like an all-American type naming tradition, but I don't like it. If I go to all that work to come up with at least two (I say at least, because I fully plan on giving all my children two MNs) names I really love, I'm going to want to call my child by at least one of them. I even like EJ and MJ. But Everett Joshua Charles is on my list, and the chance of me ever calling him EJ is pretty much zero. EJ is cute, but does it compare to Everett? Or Joshua? Not in the slightest. Everett Joshua, to me, is way too gorgeous and handsome to just forget those 11 other letters and just call him by his initials. If I wanted him to go by his initials (or something equally boring), I would have just named him E.J. To me, it feels very unoriginal. Initials aren't really a name, they're initials. They're a placeholder. I wouldn't want to call my child a placeholder.

However, I would consider using initials that actually sound like a nn, like something like Eleni Violet "Evie" or Rachel Evangeline "Ari", but honestly, I like Eva and Arianne much better than I like the full combos Eleni Violet and Rachel Evangeline, so I doubt I would even do that. The idea of initials nns don't really appeal to me, but I think they're fine for someone else, and they definitely work for someone else.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

".... to me, is way too gorgeous and handsome to just forget those 11 other letters and just call him by his initials. If I wanted him to go by his initials (or something equally boring), I would have just named him E.J. To me, it feels very unoriginal. Initials aren't really a name, they're initials."

Awesome point Ash, thank you for that. I have been swayed and now have an official stance on the topic :-)