Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Opinions on our Top 13 Boys Names Please!

Hi guys,

I know it's a random number but we're down to a top 13

Barnaby
    Braith (the "ai" sounds like "eye")
    Cassius
    Emrys (em-riss)
    Ezra
    Harlan
    Lennox
    Otto
    Quentin
    Rafferty
    Sullivan
    Wyatt
    Xavier

Otto, Harlan and Lennox are our joined top 3 that we agree on completely. Emrys is my number 1 name and OH is trying to be open to it and slowly coming round! We both also like Quentin, Ezra and Wyatt.

He has concerns about Emrys (he thinks it sounds old fashioned), Barnaby (he's not sure he can picture it on a child), and Sullivan (it reminds him of a proffesional Snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan).

I have concerns about Xavier (love it but it's at 166 on the 2011 baby name charts for the UK and steadily rising), Rafferty (a friend of OH's best friend recently called her baby Rafferty which is putting me off), Cassius (something about it just feels a little cold, hard and grand to me) Braith (just can't decide if I love it).

Any opinions or help narrowing down would be great!
    28 year old name nerd, dreaming of a future:

Claudie, Lilac, Hadley, Thea, Phoebe, Mirabelle, Penelope & Clementine.
    Otto, Quentin, Xavier, Ace, Lennox, Byron, Rafferty & Harlan.

Out of you 13,y favorites are Cassius, Otto, and Rafferty. If you both agree on Wyatt, it's a lovely name too

You have a great list, but to make the decision easier for yourself, I would start by eliminating the ones you admittedly like the least. Based on your own descriptions and comments, I could cut: Cassius, Rafferty, and Xavier. I would also cut the ones your OH doesn't like, except for your top favorite, so: Barnaby and Sullivan. That leaves you with:

Braith
    Emrys
    Ezra
    Harlan
    Lennox
    Otto
    Quentin
    Wyatt

Out of those 8, I would cut Braith, since you didn't comment on it in your post which tells me it may not be one of your top favorites, and also the pronunciation/spelling is mildly confusing. I would consider cutting Quentin, Ezra, and Wyatt, which you seem to like less than the others. So...

Emrys
    Otto
    Lennox
    Harlan

These are AWESOME choices. My favorites are Otto and Harlan. Lennox is a cool sound, but strikes me as more of a brand name than a boy's name. Emrys doesn't have the simplicity that I like in terms of spelling and pronunciation. Otto and Harlan? Perfect. There's my two cents. Good luck!

Fabulous list! I am in the UK too, due in 2 weeks and wanting something that is not in the top 100. so just to give some opinions.

Barnaby: Love this, would have gone for it ourselves but my partner's cousin is called this.
    Braith (the "ai" sounds like "eye"): This is lovely, would probably need to correct people on pronunciation a lot
    Cassius: Reminds me of Cassius Clay, but don't think this is a bad thing
    Emrys (em-riss): This is a great name, have never heard it before. I think if you love it, keep working on hubby
    Ezra: Excellent name.
    Harlan: Not a big fan of this one because to me it sounds a bit like "Harlem"
    Lennox: Not keen on this one either, sorry, think it sounds a bit tough, probably because of Lennox Lewis
    Otto: Fabulous.
    Quentin: Not very keen but not sure why!
    Rafferty: Really like this, very unusual.
    Sullivan: Suppose it does remind me of Ronnie, but we are calling our son Jasper if we have a boy and that used to remind me of Jasper Carrot, but will our kids even know who Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jasper Carrot are?
    Wyatt: Can't get past Wyatt Earpe.
    Xavier: Really nice but see what you're saying about rising popularity.

But, I think whatever anyone else thinks of them just go with what you love. If we have a boy he will be Jasper (what, like Jasper Carrot? Jasper Conran? Isn't that a dog's name?) or if it's a girl she will be Juno (What, the film about the pregnant teenager? ) but we love them so we're sticking with them.

Love: Ezra, Sullivan

Like: Barnaby, Lennox, ,Rafferty, Emrys(though for the longest time this name seemed feminine to me)

eh: Cassius, Otto, Xavier, Braith(I personally, and everywhere I looked, had this pronounced like Brayth. except one irish sight that had it pronounced Braw. I like the Brayth pronounciation better. Br-eye-th sound silly to me)

dislike: Harlan, Quentin, Wyatt(only because it is too popular where i live)
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos