Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

August or Augustus?

Which do you prefer? A lot of people don't seem to like August because apparently "it's a month, not a name" and Augustus is pompous or something. I really like August, but find that off nameberry, people don't see it's appeal.
    Matilda, Beatrix, Lucille, Margo, Ivy, Guinevere, Isadora, Violet, Ada, Alice, Hermione, Cora, Elizabeth, Flora, Olive, Sybil, Isolde
    Felix, Henry, Ambrose, Darcy, Asa, Ezra, August, Oscar, Theodore, Edward, Clark, Arthur, Jasper, Winston, Percival

I love August and Augustus; both are fine names.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College freshman.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

Honestly I am not a huge fan of either, but on the name cloud weeks ago, I saw Augustus Blue sitting there, and it made me swoon a bit for Augustus for the first time ever. I think though, that if I were choosing, I would be more likely to go with August. April, May and June are all months, and make perfectly suitable names. I also know a December, which is less accessible, and there's also January Jones!

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

I had both on my boy's list, but chose August over Augustus when I was trying to shorten my list. I love both names, but I prefer the simpler August. They are both fine names imo. I don't consider Augustus pretentious and even though August is the name of the month, it is still a good name.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

My great-grandfather's name was August. I think it's a great name. What about Augustine? It's less pretentious than Augustus, I think. Honestly, when I hear Augustus, I think of the overweight boy from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.