Names Searched Right Now:

Pop culture baby names

There was an article in an Australian newspaper today about the rise of certain baby names in popular culture, including Khaleesi. Apparently, 29 Australian baby girls have been named Khaleesi since January 2012.

Other names spiking in popularity because of pop culture include: Django, Isabella, Jacob and Katniss.

Nameberry scores a mention in the article

Khaleesi, Katniss and other TV and movie-inspired baby names to avoid
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I've often felt that I needed to avoid movie and tv show names myself. For example, as legit and nice the names Eric and Ariel are, I can't help but thinking Little Mermaid, and I don't think I could ever get past the movie and actually use those names! The back of my mind tells me movie names are just off limits or something. When others use movie names its usually the first thing I think of, but I don't judge, it's just not something I could get past myself.
    Name nerd and TTC #1 since 2013

《Josephine》《Louisa》《Ayla/Isla》《Amelia》《Amara》《Eliana》 《Samara》《Miriam》《Vienna》《Elena》《 Viera》《Cecilia》
    《Spencer》《Rowan》《Reuben》《Titus》《 Raymond》《Theodore》《Silas》《Jonah》《E zra》《Alasdair》《Waylon》《Simon》

I really think Twilight ruined a lot of nice names. I personally took Rosalie off my list as soon as I heard it connected with the series.

Alice, Jasper, Emmett, Edward, and Bella are all nice names. I just can't get over the Twilight connection.
    I have also noticed how popular that awful baby name they used is now. Of all the names to choose from THATS the one people like best. Strange world!

In all seriousness... Isabella and Jacob were already at the top of the charts before any of the Twilight books came out... So of all the twilight names that increased in popularity, those were at the bottom of the list. If it did rise it was by less than 5 spots which is negligible compared to previous years.
    The two names that rose significantly were Cullen and Rosalie (after the movie came out not necessarily the book)

In Khaleesi's defense... Khalil has actually been a popular name for awhile (since the 80s its been in the top 1000) and I did grow up with both a Khalil and Kahlila (the placing of the 'a' and 'h' are generally interchangable)/
    Khaleesi really is just a new spin on an already existing name.

Just like Katniss is a new spin on the Katherina, Katherine names.
    Last edited by giinkies; August 23rd, 2013 at 04:06 AM.