Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Real names"

Hybrid View

"Real names"

why do people use the term "Real Names". I'm not trying to start drama. I'm genuinely curious. All names were 'made up' at some point in time and isn't any name a person gives their child real, as in it exists and is not imaginary.

I don't know. My mum uses the term "proper names" which I suppose is the same as "real names", maybe it's a generation thing? I honestly don't know, but it does annoy me also, i think it's a shame if a child overhears their name not being called "real" or "proper", imagine what that would do to their self-confidence!
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

Real names have a history of being used as names and have an etymology. Made up names do not. There is no meaning in the name Jayden. It's made up, it has no meaning.

Putting a few of your favorite sounds together doesn't make a name a name. It makes it a few sounds put together that you call your child.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    Real names have a history of being used as names and have an etymology. Made up names do not. There is no meaning in the name Jayden. It's made up, it has no meaning.

Putting a few of your favorite sounds together doesn't make a name a name. It makes it a few sounds put together that you call your child.
    Actually, Jayden is a real name, albeit misspelled. It's an 'American' (meaning parents who like the way it looks) variation of Jadon, which is a legit Hebrew name.

I grew up with a different name that really has no history and no namesakes, but it is a real French word, so that's better than Nevaeh, I guess.

Most established names (I think that's the best term) weren't created because some guy thought Aura and Lia sounded good together, so he named his daughter Aurelia. Aurelia comes from the Latin word for gold (aurum) and so actually has a meaning. Most likely, the original names were words, and eventually through different accents and dialects they would be pronounced differently. Like Aurelia, most names come from words in ancient languages and weren't just created out of thin air.

Then, names from another language are translated so they are pronounced and written more easily, such as Elizabeth into Isabella. Then, for the many names, shorter diminutives are developed. For Alexander, we have Alex, Xander and much more. Also, when most girls were named Mary and most boys were called John, in many families and circles they needed to distinguish Marys and Johns from each other, so pet names like Polly and Jack developed. And even from there, diminutives became longer with completely different names, such as from Margaret to Meg to Megan.

For nearly every 'established name', you can trace it back to it's original word form, I hypothesise.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Quote Originally Posted by aurra View Post
    Actually, Jayden is a real name, albeit misspelled. It's an 'American' (meaning parents who like the way it looks) variation of Jadon, which is a legit Hebrew name.
    Jayden is said different AND spelled differently, and many/most users don't know anything about Jadon from the meaning on, so what makes Jayden the same name as Jadon and not just a parallel evolution coincidence?