Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Real names"

I agree that a "real name" is an established name with a long history. "Made up names" are more modern and often made up by this generation. I dislike made-up names because it's like the parent is saying (regardless of whether it's what they actually think or not): "My child is so unique, I must name them something that nobody has ever been named before." The parent may not actually see it that way, but I do and I find it so arrogant. Plus, older, more established names are so much more beautiful!

You must watch David Mitchell's Soapbox (Naming Your Child) on youtube! He's a British comedian with an hilarious take on why you should give your child a normal name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xblh12XgQ4o
    Last edited by sarahmezz; February 13th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Albert - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    Real names have a history of being used as names and have an etymology. Made up names do not. There is no meaning in the name Jayden. It's made up, it has no meaning.

Putting a few of your favorite sounds together doesn't make a name a name. It makes it a few sounds put together that you call your child.
    Actually, Jayden is a real name, albeit misspelled. It's an 'American' (meaning parents who like the way it looks) variation of Jadon, which is a legit Hebrew name.

I grew up with a different name that really has no history and no namesakes, but it is a real French word, so that's better than Nevaeh, I guess.

Most established names (I think that's the best term) weren't created because some guy thought Aura and Lia sounded good together, so he named his daughter Aurelia. Aurelia comes from the Latin word for gold (aurum) and so actually has a meaning. Most likely, the original names were words, and eventually through different accents and dialects they would be pronounced differently. Like Aurelia, most names come from words in ancient languages and weren't just created out of thin air.

Then, names from another language are translated so they are pronounced and written more easily, such as Elizabeth into Isabella. Then, for the many names, shorter diminutives are developed. For Alexander, we have Alex, Xander and much more. Also, when most girls were named Mary and most boys were called John, in many families and circles they needed to distinguish Marys and Johns from each other, so pet names like Polly and Jack developed. And even from there, diminutives became longer with completely different names, such as from Margaret to Meg to Megan.

For nearly every 'established name', you can trace it back to it's original word form, I hypothesise.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor heaven "lena" ~ vivienne ailsa ~ felicity emma "fay" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Quote Originally Posted by aurra View Post
    Actually, Jayden is a real name, albeit misspelled. It's an 'American' (meaning parents who like the way it looks) variation of Jadon, which is a legit Hebrew name.
    Jayden is said different AND spelled differently, and many/most users don't know anything about Jadon from the meaning on, so what makes Jayden the same name as Jadon and not just a parallel evolution coincidence?

I use the term 'proper names' too, it's not that I am trying to offend anyone, but names like Jaxon, Mikayla, Nevaeh and Kinsley are just names that I don't consider "proper" or fitting names. But that doesn't mean that I think others shouldn't be allowed to name their kids that, we all have different tastes and that's just the way it is, just as well as there are names that I like that other people don't like.
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    Jayden is said different AND spelled differently, and many/most users don't know anything about Jadon from the meaning on, so what makes Jayden the same name as Jadon and not just a parallel evolution coincidence?
    I didn't know they were pronounced differently, but this is coming from the girl that thought Penelope was pronounced Penel-ope for several years, so don't mind me. (I did a bit of research, and you are right BTW) Also, I agree with you that most people who use it just like the sound and spelling, and that the Aidan trend is more likely responsible.

However, there must be a few parents who might have just been going for an English phonetic spelling of Jadon (as Behindthename lists the English prn as Jayden, but I'm not too sure if that's a legit prn). Some parents do spell a name phonetically, or the way they want it to be pronounced rather than deal with correcting it all the time (the reason that my friend's name is spelled Heleena; for the long e in the middle) but most parents just probably think it sounds cool. That's the point I was going for, I think.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor heaven "lena" ~ vivienne ailsa ~ felicity emma "fay" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~