Names Searched Right Now:

Chaya/Chaia and "Hy..." names

So my grandmother was a Chaia. That's said like, well, go with Hi-ya, nearly (there's a chhh sound on the front).

Is Chaia/Chaya usable as a FN in the US or Australia? I tend to think maybe not?

Hiya would be phonetic, but worse! "Hiya, Hiya!"

Hyacinth/Hyacintha/Hyacinthia is oddly appealing but perhaps that should be accent-on-odd. Been panned on NB before. Hyacinthia sounds so much like Cynthia that perhaps it feels middle-aged? Or it just all sounds like "that's a flower name... a WEIRD flower name...!"?

Hypatia is quirky-hipster-cool.

Are there any other Hy- names I should know about?

I have a couple other options for naming after her, that I might use instead, but wondered what NB could come up with. Or if they think Chaya/Chaia is actually okay.

I've heard of Chaya used amongst Hasidic Jews, pronounced with a phlegmy sound at the beginning (like the "ah" in Mahmoud.) For me it's very, very associated with that community, and I'd be quite surprised to hear it on a non-Jewish kid.

I think I like Hypatia better than Hyacinth (or variants.) A rhyming name could also work- Gaia, Maia, K/Caia, and Alaia are all very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    I've heard of Chaya used amongst Hasidic Jews, pronounced with a phlegmy sound at the beginning (like the "ah" in Mahmoud.) For me it's very, very associated with that community, and I'd be quite surprised to hear it on a non-Jewish kid.
    It'd be a Jewish kid, if that helps.

It's the same name you're thinking of. I'm not Hasidic though.

I think Chaya is fine, so long as you are willing to remind people of the pronounciation and educate them on the name. I knew sisters Chaya and Chana, called Chayale and Chanale in daily life and thought that was the sweetest thing. They are about 13 and 8 years old now?
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103