Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hispanic/Mexican Boys

We are a Caucasian-American family but my husband spent a few years living in Mexico, and we'd like to honor that part of our adopted culture. We're looking for something Hispanic that will be easy for our all-English family to handle.

Everyone was so helpful when I asked my general question about international naming, so I thought I'd gather some thoughts on our current list!

Leandro
    Marcelo
    Emmanuel
    Elian
    Marco
    Mateo

Thoughts? Any other ideas?

These all have something handsome to recommend them, but other than Elian to me they sound more Italian or international than Mexican/Hispanic. Marco certainly has some Spanish language use, Mateo probably does too. For Emmanuel, I really like that name, but I think Manuel is the more common Spanish form. Elian certainly feels Spanish and is very handsome but for me is forever tied to Elian Gonzalez.

Marco's my favorite of those you list, both generally and for definitely feeling Spanish language.

A few Spanish language names I find relatively accessible for other cultural backgrounds are

Antonio
    Diego
    Ezequiel (this is the Spanish spelling, as Ezekiel is becoming more common it might look "odd")
    Isaias (take on Isaiah)
    Joaquin
    Luis
    Mauricio
    Miguel
    Zacarias (take on Zachary)

And names with international feel that I know get Spanish language use (although usually a different prn/Spelling than the English) are

Andre
    Ivan
    Leo
    Martin
    Victor

Sure there are more, good luck!

My son is Hispanic--his name is Francisco, and we call him Cisco. I love his name! My friend has a son named Mateo Santiago. Other favorites of mine are Emilio and Antonio. Good luck!

My sister is white and married to a Colombian so all her names work in either culture. She has: Ana, Elena, Isabel, Sebastian, Nicolas. She wants a Lorenzo next. Her hubby is Leonardo and his dad is Orlando (what all the rest of us call Nicolas because we like it better). Her next girl will be Sofia. All classic, middle-class Latino names.

My favorite Hispanic name is Reuben. LOVE IT.

From your list, i think Marco and Emanuel seem like the best choices - they convey what you want without seeming misleading or too-foreign. I like the suggestions of Sebastian, Orlando, Leo. Also, what do you think of

Adrian
    Dario
    Daniel
    Ferran
    Gabriel
    Hector
    Jaime
    Leon
    Rafael
    Raul
    Victor