Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I've met a Japanese girl named Gin, and apparently it's a normal Japanese name. I actually quite like the sound and look of it, but I can see why it'd be problematic haha!

My mom always called me Musling, when I was little, and since my mom is the type of person who would actually name a child that, I'm happy that it wasn't accepted as a "real" name when I was born. Clearly she loves nicknames. My mom has always said that she was VERY close to naming my brother Rumle, and me Trille. My father just liked Benjamin for my brother, and Nana for me. I really don't know how my parents ended up on Mads and Laura haha! Now I actually think Rumle & Trille would be the most adorable Danish sibset ever, but oh well. Mads & Laura is a bit more... Safe. (So there's a long, unimportant story for you!)

Sommer seems perfectly fine to me (probably mostly because it's one of my surnames and I've always thought it seemed quite first-namey)... I actually had no idea it wasn't already accepted as a name.
    Cleo

Quote Originally Posted by lunaaah View Post
    I've met a Japanese girl named Gin, and apparently it's a normal Japanese name. I actually quite like the sound and look of it, but I can see why it'd be problematic haha!

My mom always called me Musling, when I was little, and since my mom is the type of person who would actually name a child that, I'm happy that it wasn't accepted as a "real" name when I was born. Clearly she loves nicknames. My mom has always said that she was VERY close to naming my brother Rumle, and me Trille. My father just liked Benjamin for my brother, and Nana for me. I really don't know how my parents ended up on Mads and Laura haha! Now I actually think Rumle & Trille would be the most adorable Danish sibset ever, but oh well. Mads & Laura is a bit more... Safe. (So there's a long, unimportant story for you!)

Sommer seems perfectly fine to me (probably mostly because it's one of my surnames and I've always thought it seemed quite first-namey)... I actually had no idea it wasn't already accepted as a name.
    Oh, another Dane! Hej
    My mum also affectionally called me musling when I was a kid (along with the mandatory skat, sveske, putte and tulle - tullemor in my case), but I must admit that I'd be rather furious had she named me that. Rumle is such a nice name, one of my own favourites, so I definitely understand why your mum liked that (don't know how I feel about Trille though. It makes me think of Der var engang en dreng - som fik en lillesøster med vinger by Wikke and Rasmussen where the entire family is named with nicknames: dad, Palle; mum, Trille; son, Kalle; and daughter, Lille).
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Thank you for fascinating thread, am thrilled to pick up some new Scandinavian names from other posters and read such 'telligent comments Specially like Rumle - pronunciation/meaning?

Regarding the newly approved names, I am in love with Sok (it is still making me chuckle 15 mins later!) with Nitte ('rivet') a close second, after dreaming that my niece-to-be was called Gimlet! Sommer is sweet and linked to Somerled, a long-time lurker in my list (meaning 'Summer warrior' i.e. pesky Viking raiders!)

Adore Scandinavian (esp. Norse) names and wondered if you (or anyone) would comment on Ebbe and Burr? I'm just curious as to how they would be viewed by Real Scandinavians and also to check pronunciation (I've read that the final syllable of Ebbe is usually pronounced 'uh', but sometimes 'ee'). Thanks if you can help, no prob if not, will continue to love it
    Last edited by bob=kate; April 24th, 2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Isolde - Eluned - Freya - Anouk - Tabitha
    Caspar - Edmund - Ebbe - Fred - Oskar

Quote Originally Posted by bob=kate View Post
    Thank you for fascinating thread, am thrilled to pick up some new Scandinavian names from other posters and read such 'telligent comments Specially like Rumle - pronunciation/meaning?

Regarding the newly approved names, I am in love with Sok (it is still making me chuckle 15 mins later!) with Nitte ('rivet') a close second, after dreaming that my niece-to-be was called Gimlet! Sommer is sweet and linked to Somerled, a long-time lurker in my list (meaning 'Summer warrior' i.e. pesky Viking raiders!)

Adore Scandinavian (esp. Norse) names and wondered if you (or anyone) would comment on Ebbeand Burr? I'm just curious as to how they would be viewed by Real Scandinavians and also to check pronunciation (I've read that the final syllable of Ebbe is usually pronounced 'uh', but sometimes 'ee'). Thanks if you can help, no prob if not, will continue to love it
    Rumle is pronounced ruhm-le (I'm a dork at explaining something phonetically, but that's the best I could do). "At rumle" is to rumble (as in "my stomach rumbles"). We have a Danish director, Rumle Hammerich (whose real name is Jens Peter), his mother was the translator of Peanuts and she named Pigpen "Rumle" after him.

We actually had a great Danish actor named Ebbe Langberg. In Danish, it's pronounced like Abba only with 'e' instead of 'a'. I'd say it's considered rather old-fashioned here, but then again, old-fashioned names are rising very rapidly

Burr was the Búri and the father of Odin in the Norse mythology. I'm not sure the Danish pronunciation is pronounceable in English - as a matter of fact, I was thinking of English words resembling, it but I can't think of any.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Thank you for this
    Oh, and the newly-approved Bror reminded me of Burr.