Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reginanoctis View Post
    I always find it fascinating how there can be such differences between these countries.

Denmark: Der er to eller færre personer med fornavnet 'Desideria'
    Norway: Det er 3, 2, 1 eller 0 kvinner som har Desideria som første fornavn.
    Sweden: Det finns 794 kvinnor som har förnamnet Desideria.

And I just can't stop giggling at Sok. I would guess it's Asian, but still.
    That's some difference, I had expected there would be quite a few with the name in Norway at least.

Can you imagine being named Nam Sok? I mean, sure, it could be somewhat common in Asia, but in Denmark it means "yummy, sock!"
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

It's weird, it's a lovely name. Maybe because of the Swedish association. There's a lot of lovely names I've thought would be used to some extent in Norway that aren't recorded. I've been curious about this since my family is over there. What needs to be taken into account though, is that Norway and Denmark's population is almost half of Sweden's.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Interesting post. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of the state being able to tell you what you can or cannot name your kid. It seems like such a basic individual right. I mean if you want to name your kid Cream Puff Moonflower, who should tell you that you can't? The kid may not like it, but they can change it when they turn of age. I'm currently in love with the Scandinavian name (or what I understand to be a Scandinavian name) Stellan, and have thought about using it if I have a boy, though I have no Scandinavian roots.

I know a girl Sommer. I really like it.
    Loving: Lilith Delphine, Daphne Elisabeth, Eleanor Lilac and my GP Amaryllis Clio
    William Dougal, Rupert Theodore and my GP Augustin Sage

Celestia, Opal, Agatha, Mabel, Delphine, Lilith, Magnolia, Eleanor, Olympia, Harriet, Daphne, Nora, Tabitha, Lilac, Saffron, Wilhelmina, Clio, Amaryllis
    Vaughn, Sterling, Samson, Sage, Rupert, Hugo, August, Stellan, Dougal, Sydney, Theodore, William

Quote Originally Posted by lizziebethbetsyelise View Post
    Interesting post. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of the state being able to tell you what you can or cannot name your kid. It seems like such a basic individual right. I mean if you want to name your kid Cream Puff Moonflower, who should tell you that you can't? The kid may not like it, but they can change it when they turn of age. I'm currently in love with the Scandinavian name (or what I understand to be a Scandinavian name) Stellan, and have thought about using it if I have a boy, though I have no Scandinavian roots.
    I actually like the whole idea behind the list of names because originally it was made to avoid embarrassments for the child. Now, the whole thing is pointless because there are so many ridiculous names approved (after Gift, Awesome and Offer, I quit). I also think it's so silly that beautiful, old names aren't approved whereas a name like those mentioned above are, then what's the point of it all?

Stellan is a great and strong name, I know a couple of Swedes with that name
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"