Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Our Fave Styles of Names and Why

What's your favorite style of names? Classic, vintage, word, contemporary, unisex, hipster, occupation, or names that end in "en"? Have you always loved that style? Or did you used to love different kinds of names? Tell us about it...

Re: Our Fave Styles of Names and Why

I've always loved the names from the 20's. Those Jazzy babes! I could happily name from the top 20 of 1921! I like the solid feel of them and the flirty nicknames too.
    Mama to Leo Sebastian, Simon Ambrose, Josephine Rosamel &
    Angel: 05/09/11

Visit my blog: www.lolamac.wordpress.com

For girls, I like old-fashioned Southern names, the kind that belong to sweet white-haired ladies who wear polka dot cotton dresses: Hazel, Louise, Evelyn, India, Lucille, Corinne, Edith. (I didn't even realize it until I put them together here, but all of these names belong to my great aunts. Whoa!)

For boys, I like strong names with a poetic feel and (I've just now realized) literary connections: Atticus, Dashiell, Zane, Warren, Auden, Truman.

I've always loved classic names. Always. My fist memorable dolls were Anne and Katherine, and I was only three when I named them!

I have absolutely no idea why classic names (for me, classic included vintage and Biblical) appeal to me so much, but I was born with an aversion to trendy names.

My favorites include:

Annabelle (and Anne)- I love Anne of Green Gables, and this name has the Anne, with the "able" sound reminding me of "Gables"
    Sophie- My great-aunt's name, and I'd like to use the name in her memory
    Emmeline- A character in Anne of Green Gables
    Genevieve- I first heard it when I was little and watching "Who's the Boss?" A guest character was named Genevieve, and I loved the name
    Charlotte-My best friend's name, and a name I've always loved
    Julia-My name is derived from Julia, and I've always loved Julia
    Celia- Was my great-aunt's name
    Grace- I've always loved this name
    Josephine- I first heard it in Little Women, and thought it was beautiful
    Louisa- I grew up with a Louisa, and loved her name
    Lydia- My preschool teacher's name, and I remember I thought it was the coolest name in the world!
    Rose- My favorite name
    Tess- I loved Melanie Griffith's character in Working Girl
    Eliza- From My Fair Lady, I associate it with Audrey Hepburn
    Vivienne- Angelina stole it from my list! :-)

Edward- A family name
    Henry- After my grandfather
    Oliver- I just love it!
    Nathaniel- Family name
    Harrison- Grew up with a really cool Harrison
    Gideon- Love it for a middle name
    Benjamin- Family name
    Charles- Loved Charles Ingalls on Little House
    William- I've always loved this name
    August- I actually started loving this last week :-)
    Ezra- Love this for a middle name
    Theodore- Love it for no reason!

I'm like Jill-I love classic names. When I used to play Barbies with my sister, I would often call my doll Sally. There are some trendy names I really like, but not for my children. I do love vintage names and also unusual saints' names. Of course many of the saints' names are classic. A couple of unusual saints' names I love are Genevieve and Sebastian. I love Vincent, but would probably never use it. I enjoy helping someone who has completely different name taste than me to think of names. It makes me feel empathetic with them and stretches my brain. Kind of like doing a crossword puzzle.