Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    wow, that's a lot of new and unusual names. Was the list longer and you just included the more interesting ones?

Do you have to state your case for why you want a certain name? A lot of these seem really obscure for a country who works off a specific list. I would think there would be more "normal" names that or names from other cultures that people would want to use and can't. Names like Laban and Ludo that are names in other countries.

How long is the actual list?--total names available for use?
    There were more newly (from 2012) approved names, but these were the oddest.

Yeah, I guess so. Though, with names like Sok and Gift, I think you have to be really good at speaking your case. I don't really have too much personal experience with this, I do know someone who were gonna name their son F.j.o.r.d. and since that is a name used most commonly as a last name, they're going through hell to actually get the name approved. They actually had to name him something else (very close to F.j.o.r.d., just one letter is different) because all children have to be named within six months (I believe). He's like five years old today and it still hasn't been approved (though there are people who legally bears the name for whatever reason).

Here is the full list (it's towards the bottom of the page)
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel

Wow, that's close to 30,000 names. That's a ton of choices.
    Very interesting!
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas

Ahh haven't seen much of the Danish royals since they were in London for the Olympics. Bet he's still a cheeky chappy though

I get that it's a board game, but I thought it was a fairly common, legit name in the Netherlands, Germany etc. I know an English Ludo and a few German Ludovics. Didn't realise they were that strict on naming!
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    I get that it's a board game, but I thought it was a fairly common, legit name in the Netherlands, Germany etc. I know an English Ludo and a few German Ludovics. Didn't realise they were that strict on naming!
    Yeah, now that you mention it, it does seem odd that a name like Hegn ("fence"), Orm ("worm) or Stony (doesn't need explanation) got approved before Ludo did. I'm fairly certain that Ludovic is approved though (don't have the patience to check ).
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel

Poor Offer, Gift, et cetera ... I like Glød though.

I looked up some of my favourites, most were approved but not all:
    "Du søgte på Altea. Navnet er ikke godkendt som fornavn."
    "Du søgte på Vendel. Navnet er ikke godkendt som fornavn."
    I'm glad I'm on the other side of Kattegatt, then ... Althea is approved though, and I suppose both Altea and Vendel would go through quite easily?