Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catheyc View Post
    I've been highly anticipating this baby's name as well. Aren't there unspoken naming conventions they need to follow, though? Like using certain family names or something like that? Does anyone know? I thought I heard something about that.
    "The accession rules were recently changed and so the first child of either gender will ascend the throne," Satran explains, so "the royal baby name will more closely adhere to protocol, which dictates a name previously used by British royalty as well as one with positive connotations: no unlucky choices (sorry, John) or inharmonious history (bye bye, Diana, at least as a first name)."

I grabbed this quote from The Huffington Post. Our very own Pam was featured explaining royal baby name protocol!
    Mother to William Joseph with baby Iris Corinne due at the end of March

I'm a huge royalist so I'm totally looking forward to a new royal baby! Given the names they can realistically use, I would love to see something like Victoria Adelaide Diana Catherine or Victoria Elizabeth Diana Catherine for a girl. Something from a historical royal like Eleanor, Adelaide, Helena, Charlotte or Caroline would be interesting. I'm not particularly fond of most "royal" boys' names but would love Arthur, Edward and/or William. I doubt it'll happen but I've been liking Alfred lately too.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Matilda. As I mentioned in the 'royal baby'-thread, Empress Matilda was the first female ruler of England (though she was never crowned Queen and merely was called 'Lady of the English'). It would be nice to honour her considering that she never really was a Queen, and the name is modern again, so they could keep in style with time.

For secondary names (since technically, royals don't have middle names), I hope they'll stir clear of Diana references. Not that I have the slightest thing against her, just that I'm not fond of any of her names (neither Diana nor Frances, though Frances is the lesser of two evils). I'd love to see the Princess Royal honoured as well as Caroline being used (as a more regal version of Catherine's mothers name, Carole). Another namesake could be Alexandra (for Queen Alexandra, wife of Edward VII), Mary (for Queen Mary, wife of George V), Marina (for Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark, wife of George, the Duke of Kent), Alice (for Princess Alice of Battenberg, mother of the Duke of Edinburgh), Philippa (for the Duke of Edinburgh and Philippa Middleton) and Margaret (for Princess Margaret).

Overall, I think I would name a future Queen of the United Kingdom: Matilda Caroline Margaret Anne or Matilda Caroline Alexandra Mary, can't decide between the two.

Other names: Alexandra Elizabeth Margaret Rose (it would be such a lovely tribute to Princess Margaret to use both of her beautiful names), Alice Marina Caroline Victoria, Victoria Elizabeth Philippa Mary, Anne Philippa Elizabeth Matilda or Mary Alexandra Caroline Alice.

What I think a little Princess will be called: Matilda Caroline Frances Elizabeth or Eleanor Caroline Philippa Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    I would be surprised if they had a girl and didn't name her Diana.
    As a secondary name, perhaps. As a first name? Nope, strongly doubt that's gonna happen (a girl will be the Queen of England once for god's sake, Queen Diana isn't very regal, and naming a girl Diana would further increase the comparisons between Diana and her granddaughter which just wouldn't be fair to the girl).
    Last edited by shvibziks; February 10th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Quote Originally Posted by polka View Post
    "The accession rules were recently changed and so the first child of either gender will ascend the throne," Satran explains, so "the royal baby name will more closely adhere to protocol, which dictates a name previously used by British royalty as well as one with positive connotations: no unlucky choices (sorry, John) or inharmonious history (bye bye, Diana, at least as a first name)."

I grabbed this quote from The Huffington Post. Our very own Pam was featured explaining royal baby name protocol!
    I really wish it could have been Diana!
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

I like the suggestions of Victoria and Alice as PPs said. I also think something like Eloise, Margaret or Caroline (also mentioned above) would be good choices for a little princess!
    Top 10 girl's names: Serena * Audrey * Sienna * Bridget * Lucy * Hazel * Cordelia * Josephine * Claire * Alice
    Top 10 boy's names: Elliott * Callum * Theodore * Emmett * Nolan * Ian * Blake * Brennan * Adrian * Everett