Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbara

My seventy-nine year old Grannie is named Barbara. And as much as I love my Grannie, I hate her name. It brings to mind a stereotypical fifties housewife with the pearls and the hair that would crack if you hit it with a hammer. I don't think it's anywhere near ready to be revived, and I don't like many of it's nicknames.
    Wow, that was harsh! Hope it wasn't too rough!
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

So, all the hipsters/adventurous namers are all OVER names like Ruth and Agnes and Esther and Edith right now, but there are some that are still not quite cool yet. Thats the mom names. Not moms of youngsters, but moms of us. My mom is Jill. Jill is not cool. My aunts are Beth (not cool), Marla (not cool; this is also my first name but I don't go by it), and Deborah called Debbie (neither of which are cool).

These are the next names that are gonna be cool, but it's gonna be awhile. It doesn't even matter what Barbara's merits are in and of itself. Like most names, it's hard to see beyond the context. Barbara is your mom or aunt, or maybe grandma, and she's gonna stay that way for a while.

Honestly, if I saw a little girl Barbara it would be sort of delightful, the way things are delightful when they're TOTALLY unexpected.

These are some of the names that are so uncool that you would out-hipster yourself if you used them. Or maybe they'll never be cool again. But maybe - just maybe - if you use it now, when your kid is, like, 15, she'll be like a 15-year-old Emmaline or Olive today, just sooo ahead of the awesome name curve.

Barbara
    Deborah
    Linda
    Karen
    Susan
    Janice
    Jill
    Vanna
    Kay
    Leslie
    Cindy
    Wanda
    Leigh
    Nancy

There are also some - like Lauren, Ashley, Brittany, and Melissa - that will probably be what our kids name their kids, and by then they'll sound like old lady names to us.

Speaking of which, there are names that are STILL not cool, even to hipsters, but once a high-ranking hipster uses it everybody will be all over it.

Mildred
    Ethel
    Edna
    Bertha
    Dorcas
    Lois
    Myra

This is all hypothetical, of course. I may be full of crap. :-)
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Jack . Walker . David . Gabriel . Joe . Michael
    Clementine . Marina . Nadia . Vesper . Georgia . Emerald

I am rethinking Barbara. My bestfriend's name is Barbara (Barb), it has a positive connotation. My Great aunt was Barbara with Bobbie as a nickname. I think it is a few years off for a first name revival, but ripe for middle name usage. Also found earlier comment about barbarian sound alike, which is exactly where the comes from, "stranger".

I like it. I don't really care that it's an old lady name.

This is my husband's grandma's name so I thought it would be cute to have a Barbara nicknamed Bunny, maybe Bee when she got older, but alas, our last name starts with a J and that's no good. I think it's a fine name, unexpected, that would grow on people when it's on a little girl. So long as Barbie is never a nickname.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Ottilie, Rosmira, Calluna, Faustine, Hildana, Selenia
    ... Alaric, Macsen, Jove, Hawthorn, Stellan, Rainier, Evander, Cillian, Casper