Aria
    Harmony
    Melody

Stars
    Celeste
    Selena
    Star

& Mythology.
    Last edited by irmgard+theodorian; February 9th, 2013 at 03:21 AM.

On Ruth, In the words of Ross from Friends, "I'm sorry, are we having an 80 year old woman?"

I'm pleased to see both that you made this thread and second, that my name made it. These names tend to be the names I love.

I would add Elle. It's not my favorite, it feels incomplete, but LBD I think it is.

How about Tess? I didn't even know Tess was considered such a core basic name until I joined here. Lucy is an LBD but an LBD with a flouncier skirt than most, so I don't think it makes it.

Also, Christine. It's longer and a little lighter than most of the names on the list, but it has some compelling arguments.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Loving this discussion. I'm on my phone so I can't reply individually, but here's a potential LBD some might find controversial.

Eden.

Yes, Eden is a true 20th century baby, but her roots go deep and she has a surprisingly long history of use. Personally I don't see her as dated, though others might disagree. Her meaning is undeniably strong, and while she shares elements of popular Eva and Aden, she's also got a timeless quality thanks to the eternal garden she references. Eden could be a sister to Andromeda, but she could just as easily play with siblings Jack and Kaylee. Eden's religious and trendy associations may disqualify her from true versatility, however. Could Eden be a senator? A surgeon? A lunch lady? I'm inclined to say yes. This is a strong choice. Does it qualify for LBD status?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Love Anna, it's nice to see I'm a classic.

I agree on
    Kate
    Rose
    Grace
    Jane

I would add Amelia, she's not my favorite, but timeless as always
    Helen too seems to always work

What an interesting thread!
    Mariposa
    Not expecting, just collecting!

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowfinch View Post
    On Ruth, In the words of Ross from Friends, "I'm sorry, are we having an 80 year old woman?"
    Ha! I still think Ruth has a claim to LBD status, but those old-lady connotations are hard to shake. Maybe give it another generation or two...

I'm pleased to see both that you made this thread and second, that my name made it. These names tend to be the names I love.
    Congratulations on your LBDN! I usually like more flamboyant, nature-inspired names like Juniper, but I've fallen in love with the idea of an LBD paired with a more adventurous middle name. And I'd rather see a girl with an LBDN any day than another Mckinzie or Mikaleigh.

I would add Elle. It's not my favorite, it feels incomplete, but LBD I think it is.
    I think I have the same issue with Elle as an LBD as I do Sophie -- they both seem, well, French, and thus a little fancier than their streamlined counterparts. Still, in all other categories Elle certainly qualifies: she is after all the distilled essence of femininity! I agree that she does seem a bit incomplete. I'll give another shout-out to Ellen, which I think belongs on this list. And how about Belle? Her meaning is certainly a little ornate, but her sound is straightforward and she has that musical connotation of a clear, simple bell.

How about Tess? I didn't even know Tess was considered such a core basic name until I joined here. Lucy is an LBD but an LBD with a flouncier skirt than most, so I don't think it makes it.
    Tess definitely qualifies! Lucy does seem, as you say, a bit flouncy; I also can't imagine her on a grown woman. This might just be my sticking point, however -- on every other level, Lucy is definitely an LBD, and she wouldn't be out of place in a sibset with Anna or Jane.

Also, Christine. It's longer and a little lighter than most of the names on the list, but it has some compelling arguments.
    Ohhh, I'd love to hear you make an argument for Christine!

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...