Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Married to a video game nerd! HELP please!

My hubby loves classic video games and keeps pushing the names of characters from classic games on me. Unfortunately he's mentioned a few that aren't so bad like Leo or Locke for a boy but he keeps nixing names I like. I don't want to see him gloat by telling him i actually like those names! I can see him bragging to his 3 game-loving brothers about how we named our kids after game characters! I refuse to have a daughter named Zelda but I'm afraid he's going to push for that next. At least the other two names aren't so obvious. Any one have some advice?

Pandora comes to mind from (Guitar Hero), Lara (Tomb Raider), Amelia (Tomb Raider), Lilith (Borderlands), Isabella (Dead Rising), Celeste (Mirrors Edge)

Hmm, tough question.

If he has a particular character in mind, that he loves so much and the name you can always put in middle spot. But only if he loves the character.

There are names though that have been used by video characters that don't hold that stigma because they have plenty of other associations. Would you be comfortable with that though?

For example:

Girls-Alice, Zoe, April, Isabela, Cassandra, Chloe, Elena, Nina, Jade

Boys-Ash, Cody, Garrett, Jack, Nathan, Paul

But in the end its both your decisions, one person cannot dictate the naming process. It a joint co operation. He has to realize this.
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

Girls:
    Cassandra (Alexandra/Soul series)
    Claire (Redfield/Resident Evil)
    Clementine (The Walking Dead)
    Elaine (Marley-Threepwood/MonkeyIsland)
    Elena (Fisher/Uncharted series)
    Felicia (Darkstalkers)
    Grace (Nakimura/Gabriel Knight)
    Hildegard nn. Hilde (von Krone/Soul series)
    Ivy (Valentine/Soul series)
    Jill (Valentine/Resident Evil)
    Joanna (Dark/Perfect Dark)
    Julia (Chang/Tekken series)
    Mai (Shiranui/FatalFury & TheKingOfFighters series)
    Morrigan (Aensland/Darkstalkers)
    Nina (Williams/Tekken series)
    Lara (Croft/Tomb Raider)
    Rosalina (Mario franchise)
    Sarah (Louise Kerrigan/StarCraft)
    Zelda (Princess/TheLegendOfZelda)

Of all the characters to be named after, Zelda is the best. The name wasn't made up and doesn't feature a half-naked girl with large breasts jiggling around. I would be wary of your potential daughters namesake. Investigate the character to make sure that the name doesn't cause teasing.

It sounds like he's being unfair and one-sided. He vetoes every name that you suggest, but all he can come up with are video game names, and even though you admittedly like some of his names to an extent, it's not fair that he won't consider any of yours. I'm trying to decipher whether the problem is that you don't want a video game name at all, or you just want equal leverage in the naming decision. Maybe you can get him to sit down with a baby name book and challenge him to find even just THREE names for each gender that he likes. It might get him to start thinking more open-mindedly about name possibilities. If he really won't cooperate or offer non-video game names, perhaps you can use one of his video game names as a middle name, and ask him to help you come up with a NON-game first name.