Ofeibea
    Mihret ( Mercy)
    Sossina ( Rose)
    Tesfaye ( My Hope)
    *Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/
    Liliana Wren/ Georgiana Snow/ Eugenie Marigold*

*Osias Grey/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn/
    Jasper August/ *

I think Esther is remarkable as a Persian name meaning star - and like that idea much more than the idea of biblical Esther.

I also really like the African version of Aisha, Aissata, that one of my friends has.
    Current faves:

Elinor Jane, Alma Rose, Lily Margaret, Viola Edith, Esther Paulina

Conrad James, Walter Edward, Arthur Frederick, Hugo William, Sylvester Henry

Quote Originally Posted by danishnames View Post
    I think Esther is remarkable as a Persian name meaning star - and like that idea much more than the idea of biblical Esther.
    Um, the biblical story of Esther takes place in Persia. It's the same name whether you're inspired by the biblical personage or the meaning.

I know it's the same, I just like the name in its own right, not because of the biblical connotation.
    Current faves:

Elinor Jane, Alma Rose, Lily Margaret, Viola Edith, Esther Paulina

Conrad James, Walter Edward, Arthur Frederick, Hugo William, Sylvester Henry

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Also your friend might want to pay attention to soelling, particular the eeee sound. In the Middle East that sound is always written as I (Amir, Nadim, Nasrin, etc). African-Americans, when they began converting to Islam, nearly always chose to write it ee (Kareem, Jameela). Since your friend can claim both traditions it would be interesting to see which spellings she favors.

Lastly, Behati is Afrikaans. Very few black people would chose Afrikaans names because of the racial history of southern Africa.
    Good points. It depends on how much she cares for mispronunciations, many people I've known do the i ---> ee change so the name is said correctly more often.

As for the Afrikaans, I'll have to check in with her. The black South-Africans I know all have English names, Alice for example.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto