Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Ooh, and Noor! Means "light" in Arabic.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I like Aaliyah but it is very popular. I feel the same way about Leila. Not sure the popularity would keep me from using them though.

Qiturah - The Q pretty much assures it's not going to go popular but I've seen Keturah bandied around on Nameberry as very pretty and Qiturah deserves a shot too.

Rahimah - Merciful, compassionate (I think possibly related to Biblical Ruchama)

Takiyah - Pious, righteous

Zella - Nameberry has it listed as a Bobangi name. I admit I was just mining for Z names when I found it but I think it's really pretty.

Zakiya - "Pure," and I think Zak as a girl's NN is ultra-spunky. But because I've seen a number of spellings I looked it up just now and found:
    Zakiya, Zakia, Zakiyya or Zakieh may represent two different female given names of Muslim origin, namely Arabic: زكية ‎, meaning "pure", corresponding the male name Zaki, and Arabic: ذكيه ‎, meaning "intelligent".[1][2]

Firstly, how fascinating for a Caribbean person to move to Iran.

@stripedsocks-- exactly, Zaki has two meanings, so it's a nice double-etymology ("zaki" is an everyday word in Arabic, "Shu Zaki!" "How clever," etc).

Many of my favorites were covered on ottilie's list, but I did want to give you the website I've found to be extremely reliable and comprehensive for Arabic baby names. It's muslimbabynames dot net, but it appears to currently be down. Hmm.

Anyway, I also like:

Soraya (very elegant Persian name related to the Pleiades)
    Qamar (moon)
    Aqila / Akilah "clever, wise"
    Almas "diamond"
    Anisa "friendly"
    Basima "smiling" or Basma "smile"
    Fairouz "tuquoise," one of the most popular singers in the Arab world
    Ghada "graceful" [pronounced with the Arabic gh, difficult for most]
    Hadjara variant of Hagar, mother of Ishmael, Muslim devotional name
    Hanan "mercy"
    Ibtihaj "joy"
    Ikraam "honor"
    Janan "soul"
    Jawahir "jewels"
    Karam "generosity"
    Lamis "soft to the touch" [pr la-MEES]
    Nadira "most rare"
    Najwa "secret" (another extremely popular singer)
    Najia "saved, safe"
    Nawaal "gift"
    Raja "hope"
    Reem "wild antelope" [pre-Islam Arabic name]
    Ruqayyah "rise, ascend"
    Sabah "morning" [popular singer]
    Sakina "tranquility"
    Shafiqa "compassionate, merciful"
    Tabassum "she who is smiling"
    Yasmin versus tired Jasmine
    Zaahira "shining, radiant"
    Zayna "beautiful"
    Zuleika "brilliant beauty;" historical connection as a ravishingly beautiful woman

I don't speak Farsi but do find so many Persian names lovely. I do think the -oo sound is tough here. It's especially common to compare a girl to the moon, and I like many of those names (Mahsa, Mahine, Mahtab). I really like Nasrin but it's kind of a middle-aged name in the Middle East currently. Shirin is perenially popular and is very pretty.

None of these are the strong, hard-core devotional Muslim names (Aisha, Khadijah, Fatima, etc) so if she is particularly devout these might be too modern for her.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Firstly, how fascinating for a Caribbean person to move to Iran.

@stripedsocks-- exactly, Zaki has two meanings, so it's a nice double-etymology ("zaki" is an everyday word in Arabic, "Shu Zaki!" "How clever," etc).

Many of my favorites were covered on ottilie's list, but I did want to give you the website I've found to be extremely reliable and comprehensive for Arabic baby names. It's muslimbabynames dot net, but it appears to currently be down. Hmm.

Anyway, I also like:
    [Names Suggested]

I don't speak Farsi but do find so many Persian names lovely. I do think the -oo sound is tough here. It's especially common to compare a girl to the moon, and I like many of those names (Mahsa, Mahine, Mahtab). I really like Nasrin but it's kind of a middle-aged name in the Middle East currently. Shirin is perenially popular and is very pretty.

None of these are the strong, hard-core devotional Muslim names (Aisha, Khadijah, Fatima, etc) so if she is particularly devout these might be too modern for her.
    Indeed, her parents are Caribbean-Canadian (her father became friends with my mother during university) converts to Islam. Here, many Muslims travel to Iran to study religion and philosophy at this university there, that's how the family ended up relocating, then always meant to return after a few years, but never did. Finally, my friend and her older brother moved back to Canada and stayed with relatives, and the rest of her sisters and parents are in England.
    It's really quite fascinating how international they are, to me at least. :P

Zaki is also a nickname for Zachariah ( prn Zack-ah-ree-ah) the Arabic version of Zachariah. I'm adding this one to the list.

Aw, that's unfortunate the site's down, it would've been a great help. Of the names you suggested, I love love Soraya! Nadira, Reem, Ruqayyah, Yasmin, Zuleika, Mahsa are great suggestions. Thank you!
    Funny your mention of Nasrin, we know a middle aged Nasreen and a middleaged Shirin.

She's pretty modern, so I think that your suggestions are well suited.

I'm not sure of how they read (modern, middle-aged, etc) but some of my favorites that I didn't see mentioned yet:

Farzana
    Nadia
    Zaynab / Zayna
    Naima
    Yusra
    Anahita (loveeeee this one)
    Elaheh
    Fairuza
    Laleh
    Parisa
    Parvaneh
    Aida
    Amira
    Bahira
    Galila
    Hala

African Middles Names (as per behindthename.com) that I like:
    Abeni - "we asked for her, and behold, we got her" in Yoruba
    Adaeze - "king's daughter" in Igbo
    Adanna - "father's daughter" in Igbo
    Ayodele - "joy has come home" in Yoruba
    Ebele - "mercy, kindness" in Igbo
    Nia - "purpose" in Swahili
    Zuri - "beautiful" in Swahili
    Ekene - "praise" in Igbo
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell