Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MIL Causing Problems!

We had dinner at my mother-in-law's house and brought up names. We were so excited to announce the name Anastasia but the initial reaction was "that's a mouthful!" When the rest of the family got there they too thought it was a mouthful and started joking about it. Ugh! I'm not quite giving up on Anastasia. I'm looking for some names rich in history and feminine. Ideas?
    Thanks,

Sara

Well, what a rude mother-in-law you have! Anastasia is nms, but if you love it, use it! Reactions like that are why so many expecting parents refuse to share names until after the baby is born, too many people with too many opinions.

My advice: DON'T give up on Anastasia. If you truly love the name and decide to use it for your daughter, the family will learn to live with it. Besides, there are a million nicknames you could use with Anastasia.

Maybe refrain from sharing other ideas with them! People seem to feel less okay about bashing a name once it's official. If there are some people you don't discuss names with until the baby's born, that's your choice. I'm not planning on discussing name ideas with many people, just a few trusted friends and family members.

As an alternative, what about Victoria? Catherine? Francesca? Sophia?

You announced the final name and people criticized it?!?! That's awful!!! I completely disagree that Anastasia is a mouthful. It's long, but perfectly easy to say and SO beautiful and with such great nn potential!! I absolutely love this name. Don't give up on it!!! My first thought when I read your post was "Tell her you're naming the baby Aurora, then see if she has trouble with Anastasia!" Not because I dislike Aurora (I actually love it!), but I just came from the thread about it being difficult to pronounce. That's what I think of as "a mouthful" -- not Anastasia. Does it have to do with your last name at all? If your last name is long, I can see maybe why they'd say that, but my last name is long (3-4 syllables, depending on how you pronounce it), and I would still use Anastasia in a second if my husband would agree.

Sorry, I don't actually have any suggestions (I'm terrible at that sort of thing). I just wanted to support Anastasia. Good luck!

Everyone in my family and husbands' ( except my dad who is an Aldo Leopold fan too) gave us a really hard time about our choice. The thing is they all got their chance to name babies and I'm not impressed with their choices. My point is, use the name you want to. Next time don't reveal until after the birth. That way they'll grumble but be over it quickly with a munchkin to love on.

If you're serious though:

Evangeline
    Aurora
    Corinna
    Caroline
    Anneliese
    Annora
    Arabella
    Proud mama to L. and S.E.R.

*Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/ Liliana Wren/
    Osias Grey/ /August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn*