Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ancient names with cute, spunky nickname potential!

I've been trying to narrow in on what makes my taste in names 'tick,' and I've discovered that the names I gravitate toward are:

-Ancient or ancient-sounding, thick with tones of mythology and history - that preferably have nickname potential to fit my second thematic love:
    -Spunky, unusual and quirky

This seems to apply across the board for me, but right now I'm looking at girls' names. The names that fit this bill (for me!) on my list are:

Adelphie (nickname options Ada, Adi, Della, Phie)
    Aizeti (Aia, Zee, Ti, etc)
    Aoede
    Asta
    Avani
    Io
    Nayeli (Aya)
    Niobe (Io)
    Onile
    Parthenie (Pari, Theni)
    Penthea (Penny, Thea)
    Sidonia (Sidi)
    Theonie (Thea, though I love Theonie all on its own )

...as you can tell, I also gravitate toward "-ee" sounds for the ending, as my last name ends in an "uh" sound which tends to rule out oherwise lovely --a names.

I'd love to hear ideas as to what names fit this bill for YOU! For my own selfish purposes, I do prefer non --a ending names, but please do share them still as others might be interested (plus I might see one that I could find variants for ). If you think of boys' names that fit of course throw them out as well

eta: As always, I appreciate honest reactions to the names I listed. No need to censor or be apologetic - I haven't used any and don't have immediate plans to.
    Last edited by yellow; February 4th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Pallas - NN Polly. The Pallas Athena imagery is cool and Polly is cute.
    Ione - One of my favourites of the I's, edging out Iphigenia and Iolanthe. Ione has such a soft, appealing sound not much heard beyond Naomi. The tragedy for me is due to our last name I can never use it.
    Ianthe - Not quite as smooth as Ione, but I like it a lot.
    Thisbe - the original star-crossed lover.
    Xanthe - Isn't this spunky and whimsical enough itself? Zan-thee is how I say it, and I don't think it sounds too informal OR too buttoned up. I adore it. I don't know why it isn't more used.
    Isis, NN Izzy - Isis (or Victorian-era spelling of Icesis) feels sleek and elegant to me. Izzy takes it to a different, spunkier place, and Izzy can blend in and then be most determinedly NOT Isabella when she's ready to stand out.
    Khione - "snow" - a daughter of the North Wind.

The ends-in-a's
    Laetitia - NN Lettie. Laetitia's a very minor deity but being so minor avoids a lot of the more disturbing mythic sagas iykwim, and has a "nice" power.
    Nerida - Means "sea nymph, mermaid" and also is, coincidentally, an Australian Aboriginal word for red water lily.
    Thalassa - meaning "sea."

I've babbled on so that's all for right now but I'll be back later if you don't get sick of me.

I love Niobe best of yours, but I am not sure how I feel about Io. Something about "you named me after A COW?" haunts me.

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    Ione - One of my favourites of the I's, edging out Iphigenia and Iolanthe. Ione has such a soft, appealing sound not much heard beyond Naomi. The tragedy for me is due to our last name I can never use it.
    Ianthe - Not quite as smooth as Ione, but I like it a lot.
    Love these two! Well, love ALL your suggestions, truth be told, but these three were on my list until I tried saying them with our (very chewy-consonant-heavy) last name. I was attached to Ianthe nn Ia (pn. eye-uh) for quite awhile until I read (on NB!) that it's ee-ahn-thee rather than eye-ahn-thee.

Thisbe is really growing on me lately. I used to think it a little too inaccessible, but I think that's changing (whether in my own mind or the real world, who knows).

I am loving Pallas, and it's an excellent fit with our surname, but Polly feels so Pollyanna for me! I'm sure it will feel more fresh for my childrens' generation.

I didn't know there was an Io-cow connection, hehe, I love it for it's cosmological connections (Io is a Galilean moon).
    Last edited by yellow; February 4th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

I've actually never come across Theonie - but wow, I love it!

I'm not sure if these fit your criteria, but I love Polly as a nickname for Pallas, Polyhymnia, Appolonia, and Polaris, and Reggie as a nn for Regina.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...