Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I think it's been this way for a long time. If it doesn't directly affect that person, they can't see why it's offensive, and I think it's basically a lack of empathy. We live in a very self-centered society and some people can't see their own political incorrectness. It's like, "well I'm going to name my son Cohen because I like the way it sounds and I don't care if people don't like it, but I'm going to get really upset if someone refers to a Christmas tree as a "holiday tree" because that offends my religion." They literally cannot see the hypocrisy.
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas
    Dolls: Iris, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by sillysheila View Post
    i think it's been this way for a long time. If it doesn't directly affect that person, they can't see why it's offensive, and i think it's basically a lack of empathy. We live in a very self-centered society and some people can't see their own political incorrectness. It's like, "well i'm going to name my son cohen because i like the way it sounds and i don't care if people don't like it, but i'm going to get really upset if someone refers to a christmas tree as a "holiday tree" because that offends my religion." they literally cannot see the hypocrisy.
    completely.
    Mama to big kitty Jasper

a feel for the names i adore:
    http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/40723

I like to vent sometimes too. Lol

I wouldn't say we're "becoming" culturally dense, because in most respects, I think we've always been so. The difference is that now that more and more people travel, immigrate, and integrate into other countries, our cultures intersect so we need to care whether we're dense. In 1900, a white couple could name their daughter India without caring in the least whether it would offend someone, because they were unlikely to interact with someone from India. Now, not so much. We interact more with people of diverse backgrounds, and we no longer feel "confined' to the names and habits of our own culture... but sometimes that leads to ignorantly taking aspects of culture without understanding them, and it can cause offense.

I grew up in a large multicultural city (47% are members of a visible minority, 50% born outside of Canada), so it's second nature for me to consider that what I consider innocuous may offend someone. It is likely harder for someone raised in a less diverse setting to think about that, especially if your education system never taught you any history but your own. Still, it's important to consider the cultural ramifications of your kids' names because who knows where life will take them one day. What if your daughter India wants to study in India for a year or falls in love with a guy from India? Her name may cause embarrassment in the long run. Do some Google searching before you affix a name to your child. My mom loves the name Jemima, but as Canadians, neither of us knew the cultural baggage of the "Aunt Jemima" term. Now that I've seen it on Nameberry, I would never ever name my child that. (Well, I wasn't too into it before that, but now I'm really not going to!) My husband and I are different races and cultures, so I certainly don't want my children to have a name that has been associated with racism and ignorance.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

I find your post to be hypocritical...here you are preaching about not naming children "offensive" things only to go on to say "don't use your public school education as an excuse". Basically saying a having a public school education makes someone less educated. My public school education has served me quite well, thank you very much!