Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Honestly, this will depend entirely on what sort of person he turns out to be. I know a male Lindsey who rocks his name, but he's confident, creative and doesn't seem to give a crap what anyone thinks of him. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee you'll have that sort of son. I want to say yes, absolutely go for it because I love "girl" names on boys... but what if you have the sort of son who cares deeply what others think of him? I'd go for one of the other Ash names, because chances are as an Ashley he'd go by Ash anyway.

Sigh.

Why do we live in a world where people mock others for a name?? Especially a legitimate one. It's not fair in the slightest, but it is the world we live in.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

If you want to, it could work and be wonderful. I don't know where you are, but there are number of English male soccer players named Ashley right now, and I think it's rather refreshing (and sexy, and I don't even like GWTW). To me, Ashley is only a slightly majority-female name, with actual, legitimate manly men who are also named Ashley. But I live in the South and know male Shannons, Tracys, Stacys, Shelbys and Aubreys, so....

Anyway, it's a nice name if you like it, and what's the worst that someone could say--that it's a girl's name? I personally don't think that's a problem, and I actually think that it's liberating to give a boy a "soft" name. Girls shouldn't be the only ones to have to deal with gender ambiguity.

(And yes, I *do* have a lot of feelings about the topic )
    Proud cat mom to Hugo & Frida

Today's favorites:

Terttu, Viveka, Xochitl, Mariam & Karim, Eero, Franz, Roque

I work with a male Ashley - he's never had any issues or difficulties growing up with that name, and I've never heard anyone question it

Very interesting to hear everyone's thoughts! I really appreciate it!

I think I will try and bring it up to Theo and just see what he thinks....

Quote Originally Posted by plentypk View Post
    it's a nice name if you like it, and what's the worst that someone could say--that it's a girl's name? I personally don't think that's a problem, and I actually think that it's liberating to give a boy a "soft" name. Girls shouldn't be the only ones to have to deal with gender ambiguity.
    ^This is exactly what I was thinking!

In the end I guess I will have to decide whether I want to take a chance on my son not liking his name or not....but when I think about it...that's kind of how it is with any name! Hmmm...that's something to think about.

By the way ashthedreamer, I love your idea of using a middle name that starts with O and calling him Leo.... (I'm really liking Ashley Oliver!!)
    Last edited by clairedelune; February 3rd, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clairedelune View Post
    By the way ashthedreamer, I love your idea of using a middle name that starts with O and calling him Leo.... (I'm really liking Ashley Oliver!!)
    I'm glad you liked it! Bailey Oscar nn Leo is on my own list. Most Berries didn't seem to appreciate it when I asked if they thought it could work, but I think it's pretty awesome!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George