Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think what defines a name as 'better' depends on where you live and what era you live in. Our ideas of what makes a name good or bad depend a lot on the associations and history we perceive a name to have. While something might seem quite classic and timeless to us (and thus, 'better'), many of these 'classic' names were also, at one point, considered either low-class or made-up rubbish. People didn't really start deviating from using family names until the late 1800s, I believe, and I'd bet money that the ones who deviated or used the 'trendy' names we hold up as timeless classics weren't thought of as sensible (or even stylish) namers.

Having said that, I agree with previous posters that there is something to be said for considering the genral stereotypes associated with names. People's perceptions affect how they view both you and your child, and that can in turn affect how your child sees themselves. A Sarah tends to perform better in school than Krystalique, for example. Employers are also more likely (sub-consciously) to hire Sarah because she 'sounds' more reliable. Sad? Yes. Unfair? Yes. True? Yes. I think that's primarily why people consider some names 'good' and others 'bad'. A rose by any other name may smell just as sweet, but (in the paraphrased words of Anne Shirley), it wouldn't have the same appeal if it were called a skunk cabbage.

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    It may not be a popular opinion, but yes - I think so. People want to bury their head in the sand and pretend that names don't come along with connotations or stigmas attached to them and your love of a name should not result in your child suffering in any way. I'm sorry, but the simple fact is that Eleanor IS a better name than Nevaeh. Why? Eleanor has been around for a very long time. It has a backbone, a meaning and it's one that demands respect and brings to mind people who are educated and classy. Nevaeh, on the other hand, it made-up nonsense.
    To me, arguments like 'has been around for very long time' and 'meaning' means nothing to me. Name is a name, no matter how long has been around. 'Meaning' means nothing, because when Eleanor meets Rachel they will not say "Hi I am Eleanor, it means 'other Aenor'". Meaning of the name is only tibit.
    Second, I will never perceive somebody like less valuable member of society if they had name like Nevaeh. If many people do that, I think that's their problem and we should not bother ourselves what random people thinks.

It has nothing to stand on other than being a word spelled backwards, it has connotations of low-class, uneducated people, or people who are overly religious.
    So what?

It's spelling does not make sense with the popular pronunciation people give to it and in the end, whether you want to admit it or not, names like "Heaven" (or in this case - Heaven spelled backwards) has always and WILL always bring to mind images of adult entertainment and other things that anyone with half an ounce of class would not want associated with their daughters.
    You really thinks parents of little Neveah want that their daughter will be connected to adult entertainment?

Please, give me evidence that Neveah is bringing connections to adult entertainment, because I think you just making things out of your mind.

These stigmas and connotations DO exist and they DO matter whether you want to admit it or not. When your daughter grows up and has to function as an adult, is it fair to have those stigmas and connotations follow her around for the rest of her life? People judging her badly based on her name (which we all admit is NOT fair or right, but it happens, everyone does it whether they mean to or admit it or not) and your love for a name should not cloud your judgement on something as important as a name that your child has to live with for the rest of their life.
    So should black people start giving birth white children because black people get social stigma? Because black people have problems fuction as adults?

You are defending social stigma. Are you aware of that?

I don't think some names are better than others. Actually, I think the simple notion of that is silly. Everyone has their preferences, but that doesn't mean what they like is better than what you do.

I think if you love a name, go for it. If the name is one that carries social stigma, raise your children to be strong, decent people and maybe they'll help change the stigma of the name.
    Kylee

Quote Originally Posted by theclocktowerofjoy View Post
    To me, arguments like 'has been around for very long time' and 'meaning' means nothing to me. Name is a name, no matter how long has been around. 'Meaning' means nothing, because when Eleanor meets Rachel they will not say "Hi I am Eleanor, it means 'other Aenor'". Meaning of the name is only tibit.
    Second, I will never perceive somebody like less valuable member of society if they had name like Nevaeh. If many people do that, I think that's their problem and we should not bother ourselves what random people thinks.

So what?

You really thinks parents of little Neveah want that their daughter will be connected to adult entertainment?

Please, give me evidence that Neveah is bringing connections to adult entertainment, because I think you just making things out of your mind.

So should black people start giving birth white children because black people get social stigma? Because black people have problems fuction as adults?

Awww, did I strike a nerve?

Quote Originally Posted by theclocktowerofjoy View Post

So what?

As a black person, I find this post to be quite offensive.