Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Should India be used as a name?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 59.32%
  • No

24 40.68%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

India - Should it be used?

I've been loving the name India lately, but I realize that there's controversy surrounding the name. Do you think India should be used as a name? Why or why not? If you think that India is off limits, what are some good alternatives?

Thanks!
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

I don't see why India can't be used. It's a lovely name that sounds very rich and classy. Beautiful! An alternative could be Indigo or if you like place names go with Ireland or Holland or even Asia. None of them compare to India though!

If you have any reluctance about using the name, it will probably nag regardless if you can justify it or can explain the decision satisfactorily. If you like the sound and what India conjures up for you, there's so many gorgeous names from South Asia that would be an excellent fit. Some of the more familiar examples could be:

Indira
    Ananda
    Asha
    Lalita
    Radha

But if it's more the sound of the name, maybe

Cecilia
    Eugenia (English or Latin pronunciation)
    Annika
    Freya
    Fiona
    Anja
    Vincenza
    Last edited by plentypk; February 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Proud cat mom to Hugo & Frida

Today's favorites:

Terttu, Viveka, Xochitl, Mariam & Karim, Eero, Franz, Roque

I am of Indian origin and I can't use India myself because of that, but that said I do think it's pretty. It's very nice and other place names are used so I think it's okay. If I could have used it, I would have.
    Kirrily, Valencia, Romy, Juliet, Sevilla, Clemency, Kate
    Zachary, Ronan, Milo, Hale, Finn, Lewis

India is a great name! It's one of the best place-name options you can find, and it's got a very name-like quality. Indie would make a cute nickname.
    I'm a young writer who's obsessed with baby names!!!!!!!!
    Favorite names coming soon...
    Elrock13