Results 1 to 5 of 27
Thread: Would love your name ideas...
February 1st, 2013 01:02 PM #1
Would love your name ideas...
We are TTC. Our boy's name is set in stone - Josiah Walker. Walker is my maiden name, and Josiah because it's Biblical, I like the meaning, and it comes with the nn Joe, which has family significance and which we love.
Girls are more complicated. I know we don't have to decide yet, but I'd love to build my stash with some names my DH might like, or maybe even find "the one" we both love.
So I would love some ideas from Nameberries. Here are some guidelines, or you can just skip this part and surprise me!
1. Nothing too outlandish. I might be able to squeeze in an awesome word name middle like Emerald or Snow, but maybe not. My husband vetoes everything but "name names."
2. Scots-Irish or thereabouts would be cool. We have a Scottish last name - Hatten. My stepson's name is Sean Killian. My husband likes Celtic & Gaelic names, obviously - he named Sean. But he does not like difficult-to-pronounce or unfamiliar-to-Americans names. So Aoife, et. al., are out.
3. I would love to use something beginning with Mar- as a first or middle to continue an accidental family tradition. But so far I don't really love any Mar- names. I would settle for an Ma- name or even an M.
4. As for my style, I dislike most of the popular-on-Nameberry names like Alice, Charlotte, Penelope, & Violet. I love still out-of-style vintage/Latinate names like Agatha, Dolores, and Pilar, but he hates them. I also like really unusual names like Atrella and Senara, and word/nature names like Winter and Lake. He doesn't like these, either.
5. A few other tidbits: Something that would go well with Josiah/Joe would be nice. That's kind of why I like Shiloh. Names that pertain to writing (we both write for a living), the South, and the military are good. And the starting letter K is a big no-no; both of our names begin with K, and we want to avoid K-K-K... especially since we live in Mississippi. Yikes!
Names he sort of likes so far:
Names he is "ok" with:
I have gotten him to suggest one name, and it was Isabella. He was shocked when I told him it was #2. He still thinks of popular names as stuff like Katie and Jenny. I think he identifies Isabella with his "secret" celeb crush, Rossellini. :-)
I would love to find something I love that he also loves, but so far I haven't found it. Maybe you can! Thanks, berries!Mrs. H.
Trying for our first.
Boy Combos: Jack Gabriel Walker & Jonah Michael Whittaker
David . Alexander (Andy) . Xavier . Abel . Edgar . Apollo . Thomas . Harry . Walter . Frederick
Girl Combos: Clementine Mary Theresa . Cecelia Rose Elizabeth
Gemma . Beatrice . Vesper . Stella . Claire . Diana . Gloria . Rosemary . Winter . Georgia . Grace . Judith . Corinne
Avatar: Sarah Connor kicks ass.
February 1st, 2013 01:30 PM #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Hilarious about your husband suggesting Isabella. Mine suggested Elizabeth at one point, and I had the same reaction, but then I started to really love the name and almost kept it on my short list. Isabella is an offshoot of Elizabeth, but Isabella is trendy and Elizabeth (though popular) will never be trendy. It's also a completely stunning, classic name. I know you're probably looking for something fresher.. but I think Elizabeth could be for you, and here's why:
BETTE. (pronounced "Betty")
Bette Davis, Bette Boop.. So spunky, so iconic, such vintage coolness and beauty. Looking at your picture, with the polka dots and the red lipstick, I think Bette.
The world needs more Bettes. I love your idea of Emerald. Elizabeth Emerald would be fabulous. Emerald almost contains "mar," right?
February 1st, 2013 01:36 PM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2012
February 1st, 2013 01:38 PM #7Anastasia Pearl, Caroline Audrey, Catherine Maeve,
Elizabeth Jane, Grace Charlotte, Rose Genevieve
Benjamin Clark, Jack Ronan, James Frederick,
Liam David, Luke Alexander, Patrick Elliot
February 1st, 2013 01:44 PM #9
RE: Would love your name ideas...
I really like a lot of what you've suggested here. I actually love Elisabeth - with an s. For some reason. Idk why the s. But anyway I like the name a lot. Elisabeth Emerald is gorgeous. I adore double vowel combos.
There are 2 potential problems with Elisabeth nn Bette/Betty/Bettie.
1. A problem cousin of my husband's. She's the only Elisabeth in the family and at 17 she's like notorious. Beyond Scared Straight notorious. They have her in a teen boot camp right now. It might not be a total killer for the name but it's def a strong association.
2. Bette (pr. like Betty) is my mother's biological mother's name. Using it might be seen (by my crazy family) as an affront to them, that I pick the name of the biological grandma. The only possible plus is I have a late great aunt Betty everyone loves...
I would just love to see Elisabeth or Elizabeth nn Betty come back at least a little bit, and I'd love to be a part of that, too. It's def something to consider. Plus it does go perfectly with Josiah/Joe. Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions!