Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by missusaytch View Post
    I have to say I am crushing kinda hard on Elisabeth nn Betty right now. I can't decide if I like Elisabeth or Elizabeth better, or if I like Betty or Bettie. But I think it's pretty adorable and ages well. I also see how Elisabeth/Betty = Josiah/Joe. The lovely classic Biblical sibilant name with the short spunky retro nickname. I'm diggin' it, you guys. I wonder what the hubs will say...

Question: do you see Betty becoming super trendy? I understand she's a character on Mad Men. My gut feeling is it's too retro to go mainstream trendy. Do you agree?
    It's such an old classic that I can't see it really spiking. If anything I think it may drop a bit with how many other options are becoming more acceptable.
    Betty is super spunky, though I personally like some of the other nn options better (Libby/Lizzy have always been my faves).
    I like the z version better. I just love that there's such a mainstream name that can use a Z.
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas

Yay! Elisabeth nn Betty!
    I personally like Elizabeth with a Z, for no better reason than I like the eccentric strength of the letter Z. The S gives the name a nice softness though, and it's a bit more unusual. I love Betty spelled Bette, because it walks the line between adorable retro polkadot, and sassy sexy dame with an attitude. Bettie with an IE feels just a tiny bit fussy to me. Betty with a Y is classic.
    I don't foresee Betty becoming a trend. She's not perfumed-vintage like Violet, not clunky-quirky vintage like Harriet/Hazel. I'd say she's immune to trends, like Jane, only she's more unusual and way more fun! Part of Betty's power is that she's JUST Betty. I'd be surprised and delighted to meet a child named Bette/Betty, because the name is so trend-transcendingly humble, so self-contained, and so very endearing.

The name Mabel came to me while i read reading your post, perhaps with the nn. Mae. I love its vintage charm.

Also, Marigold could be added to the Mar list.
    ~ Mama to Juniper and expecting Arlo at the end of May ~

Beautiful Firsts with Family Middles:
    ~ Calypso Susannah "Callie"- Beatrice Winona "Bliss" - Clementina Maybelle "Minnie" - Tallulah Rosalie "Lula" ~
    (Pearl - Celeste - Coralie - Delphine)

~ Zephyr Joseph Yeats - Nathaniel Arthur Miles ~

Biblical & retro:

Judith
    Moriah
    Esther
    Keziah
    Susannah
    Damaris
    Claudia
    Junia
    Marta
    Rhoda
    Lois
    Tabitha

Celtic but familiar

Alannah
    Catriona
    Carys
    Emlyn
    Fiona (nn Fia)
    Glenda
    Iona
    Muriel / Mariel
    Rhiannon
    Rowan
    Wynne

Nice M names:

Marian
    Madeleine
    Maia
    Mairwen
    Mallory
    Marcella
    Mariella
    Marigny (part of New Orleans-- Southern history!)
    Marietta (as in Georgia-- Southern name)
    Martine
    Marisa (not Marissa)
    Maxine
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    It's such an old classic that I can't see it really spiking. If anything I think it may drop a bit with how many other options are becoming more acceptable.
    Betty is super spunky, though I personally like some of the other nn options better (Libby/Lizzy have always been my faves).
    I like the z version better. I just love that there's such a mainstream name that can use a Z.
    I never thought of it that way... hmmm, I'll have to think about whether z or s is better.

Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Yay! Elisabeth nn Betty!
    I personally like Elizabeth with a Z, for no better reason than I like the eccentric strength of the letter Z. The S gives the name a nice softness though, and it's a bit more unusual. I love Betty spelled Bette, because it walks the line between adorable retro polkadot, and sassy sexy dame with an attitude. Bettie with an IE feels just a tiny bit fussy to me. Betty with a Y is classic.
    I don't foresee Betty becoming a trend. She's not perfumed-vintage like Violet, not clunky-quirky vintage like Harriet/Hazel. I'd say she's immune to trends, like Jane, only she's more unusual and way more fun! Part of Betty's power is that she's JUST Betty. I'd be surprised and delighted to meet a child named Bette/Betty, because the name is so trend-transcendingly humble, so self-contained, and so very endearing.
    I agree with you in every way. And I must say I like having Betty as a nn for Elizabeth/Elisabeth because she can have a long, feminine name that dates back to ancient times, or she can use a short, spunky, retro name - it's up to her.

Quote Originally Posted by freya55 View Post
    The name Mabel came to me while i read reading your post, perhaps with the nn. Mae. I love its vintage charm.

Also, Marigold could be added to the Mar list.
    I actually like Mabel. I kind of like Maple, too! They're both growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Biblical & retro:

Judith
    Moriah
    Esther
    Keziah
    Susannah
    Damaris
    Claudia
    Junia
    Marta
    Rhoda
    Lois
    Tabitha

Celtic but familiar

Alannah
    Catriona
    Carys
    Emlyn
    Fiona (nn Fia)
    Glenda
    Iona
    Muriel / Mariel
    Rhiannon
    Rowan
    Wynne

Nice M names:

Marian
    Madeleine
    Maia
    Mairwen
    Mallory
    Marcella
    Mariella
    Marigny (part of New Orleans-- Southern history!)
    Marietta (as in Georgia-- Southern name)
    Martine
    Marisa (not Marissa)
    Maxine
    I love Susannah, Tabitha, and Claudia. I didn't realize Junia was Biblical! Just saw that one recently!

Even tho I adore Susannah I couldn't use it. My stepmonster's name is Susan and I would never name a child after her. Sucks.

And holy cow, I never thought about Fiona w/the nn Fia. Fiona is nice, tho I tend to think of the Shrek character. But w/ the nn Fia... I loooove Fia, and having the full name Fiona fleshes it out and makes it a bit more versatile. I also like Rowan but DH doesn't.

I love Maia but can't use it because Maya is my dad's dog. Marcella is ok but I can't make myself love it. Mariella and Marietta are nice too as middles, never thought of Marigny! Nice!

Thanks for all of your wonderful thoughts and suggestions! So many new names to consider!