Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Calling your community illiterate is pretty harsh.
    One definition of illiteracy is: "Displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field." So, in this case - as names have correct spellings just the same as other words in the English language - it would seem that parents have a marked lack of knowledge in the execution of spelling certain names.

You wouldn't go around spelling chair, cloud and flapjack as khaer, klowed and phlapgaq. So why is spelling names wrong considered acceptable?
    Last edited by renrose; January 30th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I'm lost for words after reading that list.........
    Aurora, Elena, Verity, Astrid, Annabelle, Evangeline, Lucia, Iris, Thea, Vivian, Ariana, Genevieve, Seren, Clio, Vera

Michael, Dexter, Zachary, Dylan, Max, Alexander, Cole, Adam, Ethan, Caleb, Thomas, Elliott, Matthew, Fox, James

We shoulde pretende that this is a kindrid era to that of Elizabethan times, an epoche in which names and words were never misspelt--only more decorativ and free from restrictionnes. (sic)

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    One definition of illiteracy is: "Displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field." So, in this case - as names have correct spellings just the same as other words in the English language - it would seem that parents have a marked lack of knowledge in the execution of spelling certain names.

You wouldn't go around spelling chair, cloud and flapjack as khaer, klowed and phlapgaq. So why is spelling names wrong considered acceptable?
    @Renrose - very well said. I couldn't agree more.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I don't think spelling chair as khaer is the same because it has one spelling while names have many spellings from region to region & that have become common over time like Catherine, Katherine, Kathryn or Cathryn. I think because names are how we identify ourselves the spellings & pronunciations aren't as set in stone and are likely to change & shift faster than the rest of language.

I think comparing the real problem of illiteracy to the personal choice to spell your child's name differently is harsh.

I love talking about names, not sitting in judgment of people because I am bored. To me it's more interesting to think about why people do or don't gravitate toward Y heavy names & if they're dated or not rather than list a bunch of actual children's names & talk about how much better we all must be than their parents.