Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steponme View Post
    We shoulde pretende that this is a kindrid era to that of Elizabethan times, an epoche in which names and words were never misspelt--only more decorativ and free from restrictionnes. (sic)
    @steponme - the difference is that today's parents and children are more educated than the majority of people who lived in the Elizabethan era so I'm going to have to politely disagree with you. Back then, education and literary were privileges of the upper classes and the clergy.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Those are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    I don't think spelling chair as khaer is the same because it has one spelling while names have many spellings from region to region & that have become common over time like Catherine, Katherine, Kathryn or Cathryn. I think because names are how we identify ourselves the spellings & pronunciations aren't as set in stone and are likely to change & shift faster than the rest of language.

I think comparing the real problem of illiteracy to the personal choice to spell your child's name differently is harsh.

I love talking about names, not sitting in judgment of people because I am bored. To me it's more interesting to think about why people do or don't gravitate toward Y heavy names & if they're dated or not rather than list a bunch of actual children's names & talk about how much better we all must be than their parents.
    Actually sometimes the parent's don't know how to spell the name. My husband's middle name is spelled differently because that is the way his father thought the name was spelled-he didn't know how to spell it. Lukus instead of Lucas. It is freely admitted to and well-known in his family. So not all the people who come up with unique spellings do so for uniqueness, they do so because they are indeed illiterate. And that is just sad really. Sometimes the truth is harsh.

My first child's first name my husband came up with as well as the spelling. I had to go on-line to make sure it was a legitimate spelling. A small change such as throwing an i in Zoe isn't a big deal, though the reason behind it is plain stupid. Changing the spelling doesn't make a name unique in anyway. The majority of the time the name will be spoken, not seen, so your Zoie is no different than Zoe. Using Zoe/Zoie as the example since it's already in the thread. Choosing a common name and changing the spelling still gives your child a common name. If you want to change the spelling for other reasons, like you simply prefer how it looks or, as a personal example, using Lukus instead of Lucas so that it is spelled the same as daddy's is fine to awful (depending on how well or poorly spelled the result is). But saying your child's name is unique when it's a top ten name just because you changed the spelling is ridiculous.
    Last edited by jersey_gray; January 30th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

@mischa, I was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    I don't think spelling chair as khaer is the same because it has one spelling while names have many spellings from region to region & that have become common over time like Catherine, Katherine
    Catherine and Katherine are legitimate variants. There's a difference between using a legitimate spelling of a word/name because of geography or language (colour/color/couleur) and spelling Chloe as Klowee just to be 'unique'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!