Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence?

I proposed Laurence to DH nn Laurie and he hated it, but I still like it. Lawrence seems like a lawyer to me, maybe it's just the spelling association in my head, but it seems more buttoned up and proper while Laurence seems a little more fun and spontaneous.
    DD Cecilia (nn Cece) Fern

Expecting #2 in June...Let the naming madness begin!

I've met a Lawrence with the nn Renzie/Renzy, just throwing that idea out there, I think it's kind of cool .
    Setra Reign 6/22/08
    Lennox Jay 2/26/14

The name is handsome and distinguished with great depth and history. I do prefer the original spelling Laurence (after all, the name comes from the Latin Laurentius which meant "from Laurentum". Laurentum was a ancient city in Italy). However, since the 19th century, the spelling Lawrence has been more common, mostly in North America. Personally, I find Lawrence with the word "law" in front quite unattractive. It has literary and cultural signifance. Saint Laurence was a 3rd-century deacon and martyr from Rome and one of my favourite actors was Sir Laurence Olivier. The novel "Little Women" had a fun character with the name. You have to remember that children grow up and spend most of the lives as adults so I don't share your concern that "it's a big name for a tiny baby". You have many nn options: Larry, Laurie, Lorin, Lorne or Lowry. It's one of my favourite boys names - traditional but not too common.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I think Laurence/Lawrence is a fantastic name, and fits very well with Elizabeth and Annabelle. Handsome and an under-used classic!

I love Lawrence! Some great namesakes; D.H. Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia, Laurence Olivier, Theodore Lawrence... Jennifer Lawrence's a girl, but a positive association I think!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]