Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    In most cases, I prefer having a full name such as Katherine for a nn such as Katie. I know a little Katie, and a little Katherine who is called Katie, and I think Katherine feels more complete. She has options, and her name sounds classic. She can be Katie as a little girl, Kate as a young woman, Kit to her husband.... so many options. Katie feels stuck.

That being said, there are some name I like as stand alone. Perhaps I just associate "Katie" with the 80s and 90s so it feels a little dated.... I hope that was helpful!

I don't love it but it's a big trend right now.

The argument that Dolly & Minnie were legitimate names 100 years ago doesn't work for me because those Dollys & Minnies couldn't really aspire to be professionals like the ones born today.

My gp names are of the cutesy variety, but I would never use Kitty or Patsy as a full. In fact, they're in the gp category for me because Catherine & Patricia (and variants) do nothing for me.

I don't think naming your daughter Cindy is child abuse, but I think Cynthia is more commanding & more adult.

As a petite adult woman I always wished for a name with more presence for professional reasons...and I don't know what I would do if I were Darla or something! Probably change my name!

My full name is Annie and i've never had any problems with it. Infact i've always loved that i'm a genuine Annie amongst lots of Annabel's/Anne's calling themselves Annie I do get asked what my full name is occasionally but it doesn't bother me...i actually quite like telling them that this is my real name!

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    I don't think naming your daughter Cindy is child abuse, but I think Cynthia is more commanding & more adult.
    My name is Cynthia, nn Cindy. I went to school with a couple of girls named Cindy, and I was always thankful that I had a formal name. Cindy is cute, but that is about it. I remember one of the girls name Cindy wished her name was Cynthia.

There are a few nicknames that can work as stand alone names but the majority of the time I prefer the formal name.
    Mama Bear to Serenity (gone January 17th, 2011) and Luther Wolf

I'm in the minority here, but I don't like using nicknames for longer names. In my experience everyone I know that has a formal name is only ever really known by their nickname. And those who have tried to move toward their formal name after using a nickname have failed. It's as though the formal name becomes completely irrelevant, whether the bearer wants it to or not.
    The theory behind it - having two-for-one - is great! Why not have more names/options, right? But it never really seems to works out that way.
    So I suppose I'm saying I don't mind if people use a nickname for the full name since that's likely what they will be called anyway. It's not my personal taste - the cutesy girl names like Kylie, Kaylee, etc. in particular make me cringe.
    If you love the shorter form of a name there's not much sense using the longer form "just because." After all there are plenty of legit names that could be considered nicknames for longer names (Luke/Lucas, Molly/Margaret, Claire/Clarabel, etc). It's all just a matter of taste.
    That's my two cents!