Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joviejane View Post
    When I was in school kids wouldn't believe me when I told them I was an only child.
    hahaha. That happened to me too. In fact my Kindergarden teacher flat out told my mom she thought she was lying when she told her I was an only child. Apparently I had a tendency of insisting things had to be fair for all kids. (i.e.: crayons had to be smack in the middle of the table, etc. I also got in trouble for getting into fights with older kids who I felt were picking on younger kids. Guess my mom knew what she was doing when she named me Alexandra. lol.)

Already replied but thought I'd add on: I loved being an only. I had friends from school of course, but otherwise, I was just very good at entertaining myself. I think only children tend to function as "little adults" for lack of a better word in the family much sooner because there's not a kids table or kids vs adults dynamic as someone else mentioned, I was more comfortable chatting with adults from an early age than many of my friends who had siblings.

Honestly the only "con" has come later, there are times as my parents get older, and I'm sure there will only be more down the road, when it would be nice to have a sibling to talk with and, especially being several hours away, share responsibilities there.

I am an only child :-). I always had a very active and vivid imagination growing up, especially growing up in the country. A lot of people don't believe that I'm an only child either. I got a lot of the things I wanted, but I had to earn them!
    "And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" ~ The Beatles

I am very much considering having only one child, and am fascinated by this. I am one of 6 kids and my sisters are my best friends, so I almost feel selfish for "doing this" to my daughter.

I do wonder about what it will be like at holidays and on family vacations for her, etc... were you every lonely not having other kids to play with?? Do you worry you'll be the only one bearing the responsibility of caring for your aging parents?

Another view is how lonely my husband or I would be if one of us were to die and we only had one kid. And what if she never got married or had kids of her own? Then we'd never have grandkids either...

So much to consider!!

I'm an only child. It has its ups and downs.
    A teenage writer and name lover~
    Evangeline Blaire, Priscilla Beatrice, Louisa Eleanor, Anastasia Faye, Valentina Jane, Flora Guinevere
    Winston Kenneth, Malachi Eugene, Reuben Carlisle, Simon Glenn, Francis Enoch, Abraham Roscoe