Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Feminine Names on Boys

There's been quite a lot of talk about girls "stealing" boys names and most of it is quite negative. But what do people think about boys taking them back?
    One of my favourite boys names is Sydney - I prefer this spelling over Sidney as I think it looks fresher and I generally like it more despite people thinking it's more a girl - would it work? Or would everyone think he's a girl? My combo is Sydney Alexander.
    Others on my first name list are Cassidy "Cass", Devon, and Phoenix. My combos are: Cassidy Keith "Cass. Phoenix Theodore. And I'm still working on a mn for Devon.
    For middle names I've got Quinn and Tempest. I know Tempest is actually a girls name but I saw it in a book and from the moment I clapped eyes on it I loved it for a boy and only a boy - my combo is Edmund Tempest.

So what do you think? Would they work? Or would I be setting my boys up for a life time of teasing?
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

Well, I never liked the name Sydney, anyway, so either way, I just don't like it. I think Phoenix is more unisex. It could work on either one.
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.

I know Devon is unisex, but I think of it more as a boy's name anyway. Tempest is definitely the most problematic used on a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by milliemm View Post
    There's been quite a lot of talk about girls "stealing" boys names and most of it is quite negative. But what do people think about boys taking them back?
    One of my favourite boys names is Sydney - I prefer this spelling over Sidney as I think it looks fresher and I generally like it more despite people thinking it's more a girl - would it work? Or would everyone think he's a girl? My combo is Sydney Alexander.
    Others on my first name list are Cassidy "Cass", Devon, and Phoenix. My combos are: Cassidy Keith "Cass. Phoenix Theodore. And I'm still working on a mn for Devon.
    For middle names I've got Quinn and Tempest. I know Tempest is actually a girls name but I saw it in a book and from the moment I clapped eyes on it I loved it for a boy and only a boy - my combo is Edmund Tempest.

So what do you think? Would they work? Or would I be setting my boys up for a life time of teasing?

Well I know two boys named Mackenzie and they have gotten a little "teasing" but nothing too difficult during childhood. They are both big guys, so maybe that had something to do with it, but the teasing was never bad. One of the two loves his name now; I'm not sure about the other.
    I think Sydney looks girly but Sidney is most definitely a masculine name. I think you should go with that. But, on the other hand, Sydney is the place name so that might be a plus. I think either way is nice for a boy though. People will come to recognize it as a boy's name and I don't think it'll be too much of a burden to have as a name.
    Cassidy...hmmm...the only Cassidy's I know are girls, one being one of my best friends, so I can't see this on a boy right away. BUt the more I think about it, it really seems gender neutral. I would worry about the nickname Cassie, but my friend has managed to avoid that and she's a girl!
    I think Devon is still more popular for boys so I don't see any problem there at all. I have been wondering if it's ok for a girl.
    Phoenix looks more masculine than feminine to me as well.
    Quinn is cute on a girl, but I think of it as a boy's name as well.
    Tempest, however, is the only one I can't see for a boy. It just seems...well, sexy.

other names that can go back to boys: Ashley and Morgan
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

I think we British nameberries get too influenced sometimes by what's happening in America. Most of these names are male here, the only exceptions are Cassidy and Sydney, but Sidney is used more for boys.

Stats for you (B/G):
    Sydney (24/159)
    Sidney (185/12)
    Cassidy (4/64)
    Devon (134/43)
    Phoenix (124/53)
    Quinn (184/46)
    Tempest (below three for both)
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]