Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why the hate of Imogene?

I have a very un-berry confession: i love Imogene.

I know the general berry consensus is that Imogen is lovely and Imogene is icky.

Why?

When I envision Imogen I see a buttoned up, prim & proper girl wearing stiff mary-janes in the snow, but when i envision Imogene I see a girl running through a field of tall grass in the hot summer sunshine.

I prefer the latter, easier going vision.

What do you berries think? Is there an image of Imogene that prevails, that I'm just not aware of?
    Mama to big kitty Jasper

a feel for the names i adore:
    http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/40723

I find it very pretty to be honest, though I prefer Imogen as it feels a little more sharp. I think it has this image because its seen as old lady ish (well in the states it is).

I just prefer the 'jen' ending to the 'jean' ending.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

To me, and sorry it's going to sound harsh, but Imogene sounds so hickish to me. I have the same "beautiful girl running through a field, playing and using her imagination" image for Imogen as you have for Imogene. Imogen to me sounds like Imagine and makes me think of a little fairy girl frolicking in the sun.

Now, the lovely image I have for Imogene is from Fried Green Tomatoes and that Imogene nn Idgie is a super great association, so I don't hate it, just the sound of it if that makes sense.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

dantea- I see where you're coming from with hickish (no offense taken at all!) but i kinda see Imogene as so old-school country that it's cool again, like Abner or Selby.

I think I just can't shake this starched, british feeling I have about about Imogen, and I'm not even sure where I got this image.

For me Imogene just has this southern breezy feel. Again, no idea where i got these associations!

I guess I'll just resign myself to be the odd berry

Any other comments?
    Mama to big kitty Jasper

a feel for the names i adore:
    http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/40723