Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why the hate of Imogene?

I have a very un-berry confession: i love Imogene.

I know the general berry consensus is that Imogen is lovely and Imogene is icky.

Why?

When I envision Imogen I see a buttoned up, prim & proper girl wearing stiff mary-janes in the snow, but when i envision Imogene I see a girl running through a field of tall grass in the hot summer sunshine.

I prefer the latter, easier going vision.

What do you berries think? Is there an image of Imogene that prevails, that I'm just not aware of?
    Mama to big kitty Jasper

a feel for the names i adore:
    http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/40723

I find it very pretty to be honest, though I prefer Imogen as it feels a little more sharp. I think it has this image because its seen as old lady ish (well in the states it is).

I just prefer the 'jen' ending to the 'jean' ending.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

To me, and sorry it's going to sound harsh, but Imogene sounds so hickish to me. I have the same "beautiful girl running through a field, playing and using her imagination" image for Imogen as you have for Imogene. Imogen to me sounds like Imagine and makes me think of a little fairy girl frolicking in the sun.

Now, the lovely image I have for Imogene is from Fried Green Tomatoes and that Imogene nn Idgie is a super great association, so I don't hate it, just the sound of it if that makes sense.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

dantea- I see where you're coming from with hickish (no offense taken at all!) but i kinda see Imogene as so old-school country that it's cool again, like Abner or Selby.

I think I just can't shake this starched, british feeling I have about about Imogen, and I'm not even sure where I got this image.

For me Imogene just has this southern breezy feel. Again, no idea where i got these associations!

I guess I'll just resign myself to be the odd berry

Any other comments?
    Mama to big kitty Jasper

a feel for the names i adore:
    http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/40723