Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Pronunciation of Rosalind?

I've always pronounced Rosalind as raw-zuh-lind. But I keep seeing comments mentioning that the 'ro' part is similar to Rowan and Rose. So which is the correct or more common pronunciation? If it is pronounced 'Row' sa-Lind I would like the name better.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

I know a few Rosalind's, and they all pronounce it raw-zuh-lind. I've never heard it pronoucned ro-zuh-lind.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

I pn it as Rose-uh-lind, mainly because that's how it was always pn in my Shakespeare class and that's how I prefer it.

However, both pn I believe are legit. It's probably a dialect/language thing.
    Last edited by catloverd; January 25th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Copenhagen, Denmark
    I personally pronounce it 'ROZ-a-lind' and I believe that was how Rosalind Russell's name was pronounced too.
    Zelia • XXI • History student • Film and royalty enthusiast
    I blog at vesperlynds and everythingroyalty, and export names from Greenland and Inuit mythology
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Archibald Ivik • Atticus Aksel Inigo
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Asta Ivalo Galadriel • Aviaaja Catherine Françoise "Avi" • Anna Margaret Undómiel "Anoushka"

GPs: Nor Aurvandil James "Jem" • Dante/Frej Valdemar Oisín • Olga Agnes Lúthien • Evelyn Alvaret Cleopatra "Elví"

Middle Earth
    I say "Rose-uh-lind", but I have heard both and consider them to be equally legitimate.
    anne teresa. 19.
    bibliophile & anglophile.
    "if you'll only call me anne spelled with an e i shall try to reconcile myself to not being called cordelia." -anne of green gables

Katherine, Lucy, Adelaide, Elizabeth, Elanor, Julia, Hazel,
    Margaret, Elodie, Anneliese, Marian, Aurelia, Vivian
    James, Atticus, Malachi, Ezra, Lewis, Benjamin, Alexander, Matthias,
    Gabriel, Finn, Dietrich, Kieran, Henry, Fletcher, Dominic, Lysander