Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Violet v. Viola

Violet v. Viola

Hi Berries! Our baby girl has been baking for 23 weeks and I finally (finally!) got DH to sit down with me and discuss names. I gave him a long list of about 150 names, some pulled from lists I've been making for years, many gathered with your help (http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...s-a-girl!!-Ahh!). He picked a handful that "I don't hate": Hazel, Aria, Eleora, Ivy, June, Zia, and then settled on his favorite: "Violet. I like it. Let's name her Violet. Done."

I love Violet. Especially paired with my favorite middle: Violet Sofia. We wanted to name after my grandfathers Bernie and Sol (and we will in the baby's Hebrew name). Because the Hebrew letter for B (bet) is the same as V (vet), we decided that if we couldn't find a B name, a V name would be fine. The only problem? Our last name is Katz. And the name Violet Katz sounds so much like "purple cats" or, worse "violent cats" that I just don't know if I can do it. When I originally thought of Violet, I wrote a post about these concerns and got mixed reactions (http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...08#post1703708).

So now I think that the best way to solve the problem is to switch over to Viola. It keeps the V and most of the name, while ridding the violent or purple cats sound. I think that Viola is more elegant and Violet is cuter. Both age well, though I think that Viola might need a cute little kid (dare I say spunky?) nickname. My other concern is that I can't use Sofia as a middle (Viola Sofia seems a bit much, no?). So I need a new middle name that either starts with an S or means "peace" to go with her middle Hebrew name that does both.

Any ideas for Viola nicknames and/or middle names? Am I crazy about Violet? DH thinks my concerns are nuts. Do you like the name Viola Katz? Thanks so much!!

Additional question: How do you pronounce Viola? (Like Violet--Viol-uh--or like the musical instrument--Veeola) And on which syllable do you place an emphasis? Thanks so much, Berries, for all of your help!!

I say V-eye-oh-la (not like the instrument). Viola Simone, Viola Sage, Viola Sidonie, Viola Suzanne work well as combinations. Another suggestion is to use Vivian and you could keep Sofia as the mn.

What you say about Violet Katz makes sense to me. I like the name Serena. It has an S and it means peace. !

I really dislike Viola due to its similarity to the conjugated Spanish word for rape. That's just something I can't get out of my head when I hear it.

But Violet Katz isn't ideal either...

I like davisellu's suggestion of Vivian. Vera would be pretty, too.