Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Referring To Unborn Babies By Their Name. Weird? OK?

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine that I didn't know I had until recent years. I've noticed more and more people on Facebook and Twitter referring to their unborn children by the name they have picked out for them. One reason why I don't really like this is that I've often thought (and I'm not alone in this) that the babies were already born.

Another reason why I dislike it is because a friend of mine was calling her baby Harper for her entire pregnancy only to SMS me that she had just given birth to Everleigh, my number one name pick that I accidentally told her when I was tipsy.

So I ask you Berries, what are your feelings on publicly referring to your unborn baby by a name? Do the superstitious amongst you think it's bad luck? Does it limit you if you change your mind about the name? Is it perfectly OK, once you've made up your mind it's good to go?
    Expecting baby #1 on 3rd October 2013

I think it's absolutely fine; however, I can see how it would be really confusing when referring to an unborn baby by it's name on FB - leaving others to wonder whether the baby is here or not. Other than that, I think it's nice. Maybe not all couples choose to do it, and that's fine. But I have no qualms with those who choose to refer to their unborn baby by name.

My own personal reservation would be that if I had begun referring to the baby by name, and then wanted to change my mind - feeling like I couldn't because the baby is 'already named.' That's just me.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Phaedra, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Caspian

I'm not a fan of this either, a girl I'm friends with on FB did it before her daughter was born. I feel kind of like it's tempting fate a little...
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I wouldn't do it, it seems a little weird. And, what if when the baby's born the name doesn't fit? I'd feel stupid... So we call our baby Baby, Little Baby, Little One. A friend of mine called her baby sigg when she was pregnant, it's short for cigarette in norwegian, and couldn't shake the nn when her baby was born, so we decided not to get too funny with what we call Baby.

It feels off to me. I don't like it personally.

I prefer cute nicknames.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele