Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Xanthe - love the name... my 3 yr old has a friend with the same name

I wondered what you all thought...

I'm struggling with a girl's name (we're having a girl) as have a tricky surname which rules out lots of pretty vowel-ending names.

I LOVE this name but my 3 year old daughter (Iris) has a friend in our village/goes to the same preschool with a 3 year old of the same very unusual name.
    Do you think this matters? I'm sure the other parents won't mind (we don't know one another very well) but it is a small village and Xanthe and Xanthe (3.5 yrs apart) would be in the same school and thrust together through my daughter. Also (and I know this shouldn't be an issue!) the older Xanthe is one of those picture perfect beautiful flower-fairy sort of girls... Might be a bit of a downer to be the 'other' Xanthe...

This is the perfect name for us - not only going with my daughter's name well but with an ancient lineage which counteracts the unusualness. It was high up our list with my first daughter too...

I wouldn't do it. Two girls that close in age in a small village, and with the description of your daughter's friend (she sounds like the perfect Xanthe), it might become boring. Do you like Ianthe, Daphne, Clio, Charis, Nephele, Chione, Dione, Selene, Eos?
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Yeah-- although it is a really pretty name and goes great with Iris, I don't think I would do it either due to the small community and close friendship. I like the suggestion of Daphne from Ottilie. Dianthe is another possibility.

Some other names that might work--

Iris and

Aminta
    Althea
    Athena
    Audra
    Audrey
    Aurora
    Beatrix
    Cora
    Dorothy
    Edith
    Esme
    Louisa
    Mabel
    Nancy
    Sybil
    Sylvia
    Tamsin
    Thalia
    Thisbe
    Xena
    Xenia
    Zoe

I think I would try to find another name. I really like the suggestions of Ianthe and Thisbe. Ione could be another possibility.
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catherine, Cordelia Iseult, Cosima Beatrix, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair

I would go ahead and use it. You said you're not really friends with Xanthe's parents so it's not like you're stealing a name from a close friend or anything. Also, even though you live in the same village now, there's no guarantee that that'll be the case in the future (people move all the time) or that your daughters will even still be friends a few years from now. So yes, if you feel it's the perfect name for you, I'd say use it. If you are looking for alternatives though, I'd recommend Alexandra with the nickname Xandra.