Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: How would you say Iva?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • "eye-vuh"

40 90.91%
  • "ee-vuh"

4 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How would you pronounce the name Iva?

If you saw the name Iva, what would be your first instinct on how to pronounce it?

More like "eye-vuh" or "ee-vuh"?

I'm trying to get eye-vuh out of it, so is there any other way to spell the name to accomplish that?
    Top Names

♀: Viveca Eulalie | Leonie Jemima | Orla Clementine | Mavis Eloise | Aziza Delphine
    | Priya Romilly | Fallon Ophelie | Saskia Noelle | Xanthe Estelle

♂: Harlan Rafferty | Ozias Everett | Archer Lorcan | Ciaran Barnaby | Hector Malachy

I'd pronounce Iva as eye-vuh (or eye-vah). The letter I, followed by "va", how else would you say it? "ee-vuh" or "ee-vah" would be Eva, so I definitely wouldn't say them the same way.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Iva is South Slavic form of Ivana, which is form of Jane. It's pronounced EE-vah and Ivana is pronounced EE-vah-nah.

Eva is name of Latin origin and whole world pronounce Eva Eh-vah or Ay-vah. Only Englishman and French people pronounce it EE-vah, because they pronounce almost every other foreign name wrong.
    Last edited by sorceress; January 1st, 2014 at 05:54 AM.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando°Roscoe Lucius
    Freya Marigold°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska°Mabel Celestina°Gaia Melisende
    girl & boy

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress View Post
    Iva is South Slavic form of Ivana, which is form of Jane. It's pronounced EE-vah and Ivana is pronounced EE-vah-nah.

Eva is name of Latin origin and whole world pronounce Eva Eh-vah or Ay-vah. Only Englishman and French people pronounce it EE-vah, because they pronounce almost every other foreign name wrong.
    That's a wee bit judgemental - I know hispanic/latino families who pronounce it as EE-vah. Technically though, (Considering you want to be technical) Aoife would be AY-fah/EE-fah Eva is EE-vah. Please, do not tell me that my way of pronouncing 'almost every other foreign name' is wrong, that's rude and uncalled for. Perhaps, you're misinterpreting.
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; January 1st, 2014 at 05:44 AM.
    haley-alannah. nineteen. lover of boybands and baby names.
    ~cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream~
    lists are currently under construction.

Sorry, but name Eva is of Latin origin and I take classes in Latin. It's pronounced Eh-vah. Iva is EE-vah.

OK, maybe I was rude. Sorry for arguing, pacifica, didn't want to ruin a topic.
    Last edited by sorceress; January 1st, 2014 at 05:53 AM.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando°Roscoe Lucius
    Freya Marigold°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska°Mabel Celestina°Gaia Melisende
    girl & boy