Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

False Meaning: Julia

I have found contradicting means for Julia. According to nameberry, Julia means youthful. According to behindthename (a site often cited by Berries), says that Julia comes from Julius. Julius is said to means downy-beared or come from Jupiter (whose exact meaning is unknown).

Questions:

1. What do you think is the correct meaning? Where did nameberry find the meaning "youthful" for Julia? Perhaps because of youthful Juliet.

2. Are there any other names with contradicting meanings between nameberry and any other sites?

3. Is behindthename a reputable site? Do you use it?

4. Do you value/mind the meaning of a name?

Personally, I value the meaning of a name and don't want my childs name to mean blind or lame (Cecilia & Claudia).

Not trying to offend. Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm just wondering how certain are we of the meanings.

1. I've heard in several places that the Julius family means "down-bearded youth", which is probably where Nameberry got Julia from. "Down-bearded youth" probably seems more correct, because it encompasses both the "downy-bearded" and the "youthful" aspects of it.

2. Yes. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but I've noticed it before.

3. Yes, it is. It's one of the more reputable name sites, if not the most reputable site for actual information on names. I use babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com more for name information, but I do occasionally use BTN. I find that both are generally pretty reliable (but not always. Everyone has faults!).

4. The meaning isn't everything for me, but a nice meaning can really elevate the name. For example, as a Christian, Isabelle's meaning (My God is a vow) is very meaningful to me, it sums up my entire relationship with my God, and it's something I'd love to pass down to my daughter. Rachel is also on my top 5, but the meaning "ewe" I am much less enthusiastic about. I do like the Biblical character of Rachel, though, and I have other reasons for loving it so much. I think it just depends.

The meaning is actually why I love Cecilia, though. Being blind doesn't have to be a bad thing. You can be blind to color differences, blind to hatred, blind to prejudice, etc., if you understand me? Besides, again, this is because I'm a Christian, but Jesus loved the blind people. From what I understand about the Bible, anyway, Jesus saw blind people in a revolutionary way--that they weren't that way because they were sinners, but it was just how life was, and He saw them where they were and He loved them and He called them to greater things, outside of society's expectation of them. Jesus saw the potential in blind people. It's not all negative, imo. I have always had a heart for blind and deaf people, though, so maybe it's just my heart for them that makes Cecilia more endearing to me.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Thank you for your response.

I agree that being blind isn't a bad thing and that Jesus loved all. I thought of being blind to the truth (or ignorant to the truth) instead of literally blind. I only meant that when my child gets older I wouldn't want names with a poor meaning as in class they learn about their names. Having my daughter come home to learn that her name means "downy bearded youth" would be a dissapointment to her. I should have used that example instead. It's simply another element where I could see teasing develop. I'd rather not mislead the Berrys. It's dissapointing to think your childs name has one meaning (which meanings can influence the decision) to only find out that it has a different meaning, one that may not be as applicable to gender or as kind. I think if more people were concerned with namemeanings, there wouldn't be so many Madisons or Alisons running around, as they would realize that the suffix son means son of.
    Last edited by irmgard+theodorian; January 25th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post

The meaning is actually why I love Cecilia, though. Being blind doesn't have to be a bad thing. You can be blind to color differences, blind to hatred, blind to prejudice, etc., if you understand me? Besides, again, this is because I'm a Christian, but Jesus loved the blind people. From what I understand about the Bible, anyway, Jesus saw blind people in a revolutionary way--that they weren't that way because they were sinners, but it was just how life was, and He saw them where they were and He loved them and He called them to greater things, outside of society's expectation of them. Jesus saw the potential in blind people. It's not all negative, imo. I have always had a heart for blind and deaf people, though, so maybe it's just my heart for them that makes Cecilia more endearing to me.
    That is a really neat description, Ashley! I've never thought of the "blind" meaning in that light before. Thanks for sharing.
    Not expecting, just planning and building lists!

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Adding to Ashley's wonderful sentiments about the meaning of Cecilia...

A couple of years ago, I wanted to do something special for my lovely aunts and uncles. I ordered decorative wall plaques with poems about the meanings of their names. (I am a name nerd, after all.) One of my aunt's is named Cecilia. When I found out the meaning of Cecilia is 'blind,' I was initially disappointed and thought I should just cancel the whole gift idea. However, the person who wrote the poems told me that the broader meaning of Cecilia is 'to trust' and 'to have faith' -- where you put your trust and believe in something without actually seeing it. With that broader definition, I ended up feeling like the meaning for Cecilia turned out to be the best of all. I now LOVE the meaning of the name.... very ironic and unexpected.
    Mother of three teenagers: (1) Daniel Glen, (2) Timothy Austin, and (3) Rebecca Jane. All middle names honor family, with Jane used three generations in a row. (A second girl would have been Susanna Eve.