Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian family needs completing!

I'm writing a HP fanfic, and I'm forming the MC's paternal family which Russian.

Grandfather: Pavel Belyakov
    *after his first wife's death, he mourned for at least 6 years before remarrying. He had four children in total, two from each of his wives. He would've had more, but refused to have more children with his second wife than his first, as he felt that was being disrespectful to her memory.
    Whatever sense of honor, and humor, his children and grandchildren have were both inherited from him.

Biological Grandmother (desceased): Anna Yekaterina Belyakova
    *UK-born Russian, her parents immigrated to the UK prior to her birth and moved back to Russia when she was in her teens. She often spoke of her time in England to her children and told them stories. Rather than a patronymic, she has a Russian middle name instead.
    After her death, her son Sergei moved to the UK to honor his mother and her adventures there. This is where he meets his future wife/MC's mother.
    She only had two children. Sergei has her grey eyes, as does the MC; his daughter.

Step-Grandmother: Needs a name; ideas are: Vera, Nadezhda, Nadya, Eva, Oksana, Varvara
    *She's a kind and loving woman. Never mistreated her step-children, and respected their mother's memory. She enjoys singing to her grandchildren.

Wife One's DS, Older Uncle: Needs a first name.
    *He's rather stoic and the most serious out of all of his siblings (who are all bright, humorous people), due being hardened by his mother's death. He has two children.

Wife One's DS, MC's Father: Sergei Pavlovich Belyakov [His Naming Topic here]
    *Four years between him and his older brother, and about nine between him and his younger half sister. He has three children.

Wife Two's DD, Aunt: I'm thinking of Svetlana Pavlovna Belyakova for her.
    *About nine years younger than Sergei. She has two children. She's not very maternal, but has positive relationships with her children. She's a bit unconventional in parenting, and rather trendy. Owns a boutique.

Wife Two's DS, Younger Uncle: Ivan Pavlovich Belyakov
    *Typical young uncle type. A bit rebellious, but adores his nieces and nephews. Is very close to Sergei, affectionately rags on and teases Svetlana a lot. Sergei's youngest daughter, Ivanna, is named after him due to her close physical resemblance. No children.

The personality profiles are pretty rough at the moment.
    I was thinking of an I name for the eldest brother, since Sergei and Svetlana share initials. I don't like Igor since there's already a prominent character named Igor in the HP series. It doesn't have to be an I name though.

Any ideas, suggestions, input would be great.
    Last edited by east93; January 24th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

I really like Vera for the step Grandmother.
    Some I names for older uncle
    Iosif (Russian variation of Joseph)
    Isidor
    Isaak
    Non I names:
    Abram
    Alexei
    Anton
    Grigory
    Konstantin
    Lazar
    Lev
    Maksim
    Hope this helped
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

Quote Originally Posted by rgp19 View Post
    I really like Vera for the step Grandmother.
    Some I names for older uncle
    Iosif (Russian variation of Joseph)
    Isidor
    Isaak
    Non I names:
    Abram
    Alexei
    Anton
    Grigory
    Konstantin
    Lazar
    Lev
    Maksim
    Hope this helped

I really like Isaak, Lev, and Maksim! Thank you. I think Isaak would be a good one.
    I'm also thinking of Ilya.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

First of, the grandmother, either Anna or Yekaterina, not both. Russians don't do that, it's a strict first name, patrynomic, family name system. (Sorry, pet peeve of mine, I read WAY too much Russian literature for my own good). If Yekaterina, her parents might have Anglicized the name to Katherine, Katrina or any other version of Catherine.

Vera's my favourite for the step-grandmother.

Vasiliy, Vladimir, Nikolay, Georgiy, or Andrey would be good for the older uncle, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by crash_476 View Post
    First of, the grandmother, either Anna or Yekaterina, not both. Russians don't do that, it's a strict first name, patrynomic, family name system. (Sorry, pet peeve of mine, I read WAY too much Russian literature for my own good). If Yekaterina, her parents might have Anglicized the name to Katherine, Katrina or any other version of Catherine.

Vera's my favourite for the step-grandmother.

Vasiliy, Vladimir, Nikolay, Georgiy, or Andrey would be good for the older uncle, imo.
    Considering that her parents were in the UK when she was born, they conformed to more Anglo practices, so she does not have a patronymic.

Vera seems to be the common like, so I will probably go with that one then.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto